Plastic Header Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a large plastic header tank in the attic which was put in when I had a shower installed about 20 years ago. It was made by Tanks & Drums in Bradford (no longer trading). It's well lagged and has a lid and hasn't needed anything doing to it except for a new valve or washer once or twice. I've uploaded some pictures.

I've two questions about it if anyone out there has time to answer...
1. It's quite bowed (see pic) - and as far as I remember always has been. Do these things ever burst under the weight of water? If the plastic gets brittle with age? And if so do they start to leak gradually or do they just burst and dump gallons of water through the ceiling?

2. Where the water comes in and the valve & ballcock are attached there's an iron plate (see pic)- and this has rusted badly What could I use to replace that? Or should I just get a new tank?

Pictures:
//media.diynot.com/119000_118205_89975_60087191_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/119000_118205_89974_20446579_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/119000_118205_89976_99674683_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance...

Tom

Sponsored Links
That plate is a reaction plate to counter the uplift from the ball valve and as such should have been installed on the outside of the tank and be hanging down. Whoever installed it inside of the tank clearly didn't understand what it was meant for,

Tank has presumably been kept at fairly constant temperature and in the dark for the past 20 years so shouldn't have been degraded by UV rays from the sun. I think you worry unnecessarily but you might want to replace that plate at some time and get it correctly fitted, though where the ball valve has been fitted (low on the side) means it won't be as effective as it should be. You should be able to get a replacement plate at a plumbers' merchant or a decent DIY store.

My plastic one is over 36 years old !!

I agree now't wrong with the tank - when you get a new valve ask for a part2 float valve ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much for taking the time to answer. Very useful & reassuring.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back