Plastic panels bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a great builder who is knocking the toilet and bathroom together for my 86 year old mother and putting up plastic panels on the walls.
My Mother has a asked for a flip up seat to go in the shower cubicle which would be fitted to a solid 1930 council house brick wall but he is concerned the plastic panels would deform when you come to tighten up the screws for the seat. Can anyone tell me if there is any special fixings to use for this or any other solution as this must be a common problem
Thanks in advance

Graeme

Sponsored Links
If the PVC panels are the hollow chamber type then they will definitely deform when anything heavy is tightened against them. To prevent this I drill timber plugs the same thickness as the panels using a holesaw and place these plugs into corresponding holes in the wall. This stops the compressing of the panels but I would only use this method outside a wet area, not inside. As above speak to the manufacturers and the builder.

Plastic panels are not ideal for heavy fixings but a simple spacer would prevent compression.
Laminate sheets are better suited .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice, I will get in touch with the manufacturer

If those panels are the type I'm thinking of (PVC construction) then beware, if the bathroom receives a lot of natural light the panels will not last very long. Do check the installation information.

Best are the Melamine faced type whether Foam or Plywood/MR MDF cored.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back