Plastic sheet tacked inside roof timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen one property loft and seen plastic sheet covering on top,I cannot remove because it’s been glued and ask vendor and they told me it’s there since they bought it.

Attaching picture below
Any input pls

Attachments

• 962497B3-DEB8-4DA9-862E-BCBE2F27B11C.jpeg
    962497B3-DEB8-4DA9-862E-BCBE2F27B11C.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
The vendor might not be telling you the truth

From what I can see, the roof looks very old and will be dirty

The lining is probably an attempt to reduce dirt penetration, but might be to catch water leakage, or possibly an ill-advised attempt to reduce heat loss.

How thick was the sheeting?

Sponsored Links
Old roof no sarking felt . Have a good look @ the outside condition

Its quite common for people to do something like that on old roofs to try and limit the muck that makes its way through the unfelted roof, and all the old torching that drops off the back of the tiles.

Old roof no sarking felt . Have a good look @ the outside condition
This. You can see the underside of the slates? on the left in the pic.
You do get lots of dust and rubbish dropping on the inside on that type of roof.
Have a careful look at the timbers (and the dust) looking for any signs of water coming in.
And have a good look at the outside of the roof (binoculars or drone survey)- looking for cracked or missing slates, lumps and bumps

Probably just backing material to stop the ingress of dirt, dust, bird nesting material, etc. etc.

Our roof is made up of the original tiles and timber and nothing else. Although lovely and dry up there, everything gets caked in dust!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back