Plastic trunking? Metal wok space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just been given a purpose built space
one of the specified activities to take place in one of the rooms is metal working.

Among the metal working activities will be angle grinding, mig welding, possible arc welding and maybe in future, plasma cutting.
Plus big bits of metal being swung around.

I was surprised that all of the electrical outlets are in plastic trunking - the dado Height stuff used in offices.
Is this right?

Sponsored Links
I have seen metal distribution units crushed by fork lifts, even destroyed the rails put up to protect them. What ever you do there is still a risk, and one has to assess the risk, so with RCD protected sockets if a lump of metal smashes it what is the risk?

So what is your risk assessment?

We only got the building at noon on Friday.
I was just surprised that a room dedicated to activities with loads of sparks would use plastic trunking not metal.
No forklifts, no RAs yet as that is next week.
I remember last time we had some electrical mods done in an old building, the estates department insisted on metal.
And that wasn’t even in a heavy workshop.

Sponsored Links
May not have originally been designated as a metal working area, or someone forgot to put it on the electricians work schedule.

You could ask the owners about it and point out what your RA concludes.

We have just been given a purpose built space
one of the specified activities to take place in one of the rooms is metal working.

Among the metal working activities will be angle grinding, mig welding, possible arc welding and maybe in future, plasma cutting.
Plus big bits of metal being swung around.

I was surprised that all of the electrical outlets are in plastic trunking - the dado Height stuff used in offices.
Is this right?
Not in my head...
But I'll be quite sure it's compliant other than the bit that says something to the effect of 'suitable for the situation'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back