PLastic v copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on replacing my central heating next year and will be doing rads and water pipes myself. Apart from fittings being more expensive are there any negatives to using plastic piping as opposed to copper and will this lessen the chance of boiler problems after installation due to flux residue etc. in pipework. I am on a tight budget and don't really want the expense of having the new system powerflushed.

Sponsored Links
i believe you only powerflush old systems, not new pipework

you can get light cleansers for new systems which will remove flux residue etc. Followed by a good quality inhibitor. Use good rad valves not cheap ones and you shouldnt ever have to worry about corrosion problems.

I have more concerns about pushfit connectors than plastic pipe. Who knows how long the one O ring is going to last? The retaining rings snap too..

Don't heat the water without a system cleaner or inhibitor in it, or you're likely to coat the h/ex in limescale.

Sponsored Links
It is even more important to properly flush new systems than old ones! It should be done in accordance with BS7592:1992

The right chemical has to be used such as Sentinel X300.

The only difference is that if the new boiler is working to heat and circulate the chemicals then a power flushing pump does not have to be used as there is no sludge to remove .

Tony

I got a 50 gall. drum of Sentirel Xy3001.............going cheap :LOL:

Thanks everyone for advice. Will go for copper and use correct cleaner and inhibitor.

ChrisR said:
I have more concerns about pushfit connectors than plastic pipe. Who knows how long the one O ring is going to last? The retaining rings snap too..

Don't heat the water without a system cleaner or inhibitor in it, or you're likely to coat the h/ex in limescale.

Hear hear.

How long is a combi installed before it leaks from the o rings that were designed to last 'a lifetime'

Never use push fit on unexposed pipework.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back