Copper pipes vs plastic

oilman said:
Softus said:
There's nothing wrong with preferring the look of copper - we all do.
Do we? Who is "we"? Have you conducted a survey to establish the validity of this statement. "ALL" can only be one condition, in which EVERYBODY agrees, even one dissenter means "ALL" is no longer justified.
My statement was indeed glib, but was certainly justified. It was also correct.

To answer your question - yes, I've conducted a survey. Every post, that I've ever read, on this forum, where someone expressed a preference, indicates that the poster prefers copper on aesthetic grounds. The same is true for all of my customers, even for those who'd rather not see any pipework at all. Nevertheless, if there is one dissenter then I'll happily modify my conclusion and I won't make the same statement next time.

I expect you're wondering how many times I've made the statement. Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is DIYnot, the most powerful Internet forum in the UK, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel dissent?

Well, do ya, oilman?

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of other factors where I believe Plastic has an advantage over copper - firstly I think it has better insulating properties so less heat loss from the pipes - keeps your hot water hotter by a few degrees! Consequently not so much lagging is required. In addition I seem to remember that plastic isn't so vulnerable to damage due to freezing - flexibility is a factor here.
Secondly using plastic pipes reduces the need for earth bonding (according to an IEEE "expert" article I read somewhere).

towman said:
Secondly using plastic pipes reduces the need for earth bonding (according to an IEEE "expert" article I read somewhere).

Plastic does not entirely reduce the need for earth bonding, you still need to earth bond accross plastic sections in any existing copper pipework.

A lot of old houses actually rely on the incoming water pipe for earthing, a fact that a lot of lead pipe replacements don't take into account.

Sponsored Links
Interesting thread.
I was a cowboy plumber for a while (no insurance or qualifications and all that) and mixed and matched plastic and copper sometimes though on the whole I preferred the copper as I was led to believe I would have less leaks and as a cowboy leaks are the last thing you need.
:)

There are people who would prefer neatly installed plastic over badly installed copper, but I don't think that counts as dissent.

I said I prefered copper, but it has to be installed correctly. Poo copper work still looks better than plastic though.[/quote]

Boxbasher wrote

Poo copper work still looks better than plastic though.
[/quote]

I dont agree basher. I have seen a few installations using ABS and its very tidy.
I may have been a cowboy but I know a neat install when I see one. :D

Softus said:
oilman said:
[even one dissenter means "ALL" is no longer justified.
Please see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69150p

There are people who would prefer neatly installed plastic over badly installed copper, but I don't think that counts as dissent.

So far, all we have is justification for the claim "we all do". Unless you know different? :D

With an ability to draw conclusions from such a small sample, you could easily get into parliament and become prime minister.

BoxBasher said:
towman said:

Plastic does not entirely reduce the need for earth bonding, you still need to earth bond accross plastic sections in any existing copper pipework.

A lot of old houses actually rely on the incoming water pipe for earthing, a fact that a lot of lead pipe replacements don't take into account.

Quite agree BB - I was thinking of whole system situations - it also depends on the amount of copper - no need for short copper tails etc to be bonded where they join up with a mainly plastic system - probably for aesthetic reasons :LOL:

oilman said:
With an ability to draw conclusions from such a small sample...
Please state the size of sample that you would be prepared to accept as reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back