Copper vs plastic pipes

RachelG wrote

I heard that plastic pipe has higher risk.

The pipe is fine. What may fail is the pushfit fitting , though installer error will most likely be to blame for this.
I know a few builders who have had installers use plastic/pushfit and failures have occured giving them major headaches.
You just never hear the same stories about copper. :D
Also some people dont like plastic because it cannot withstand high temperatures caused with the remote possibility of boiler control failure. :(

Sponsored Links
Sorry, can't resist...

Balenza said:
The beauty of copper is that you can perform a bend say for a rad tail and feed it through a joist space of up to 3m and up through a hole cut by a hole saw and no need to rip up any floorboards.
If leaving pipes unclipped is beautiful, then I'm sure you're the architect of some breathlessly gorgeous installations.

daden said:
many people will say plastic is better and quicker but i bet they are monkey site bashers
Here's a chance to put your money where your mouth is - how much would you like to wager? :)

Lashing an install in with plastic is akin to a spark yanking in cables
True. And the same can said for "lashing in" an installation in copper.

...I think most will agree its not that skilled in comparison to the copper installer.
If your aim is to show off the skill it takes to install copper pipework, and to take the extra time to do so, and you put this above other criteria, then I agree - it's best to use copper all the time. However, if the aim is to complete the job with the best comprimise of reliability, speed, cost and safety, then it's no more possible to use copper for every single piece of pipework that it is to use soldered fittings for every connection.

Richsoft said:
Another problem with plastic is the restriction in the flow caused by pipe inserts.
Good one. You left out the fact that its I.D. is smaller. However, I'd like to see by how much you've compensated for the lesser flow resistance of plastic in your calculation of net flow restriction.

Copper has stood the test of time! ;)
Yes; and much of it has been worn away by time, or pinholed by acidic particles of time left in the system. ;)

Balenza said:
RachelG said:
I heard that plastic pipe has higher risk.
The pipe is fine. What may fail is the pushfit fitting , though installer error will most likely be to blame for this.
A very wise and correct statement.

I know a few builders who have had installers use plastic/pushfit and failures have occured giving them major headaches.

You just never hear the same stories about copper.
Eh?! How is it, then, that most of the leaks I fix are caused by poor installation of copper/soldered and/or brass/compression components?

My 2p

A decent plumber should be able to install copper just as quickly as plastic (situation depending), both having there pro's and con's, it's down to personal preference for both the customer and the installer. Neither should cause you problem's if installed correctly.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Eh?! How is it, then, that most of the leaks I fix are caused by poor installation of copper/soldered and/or brass/compression components?

Like the four-foot shark, this is bound to be influenced by the number of installations with copper pipes, compared to the number with plastic. Age of installations will also have a bearing. I bet you knew that really ;)

my best working formula is...copper for where you can see it, plastic for where you cant. cant go wrong there.

b.

Not an unreasonable rule of thumb, but what's yer formula for solder vs. compression vs. metal push-fit vs. plastic push-fit etc.? :D

I mainly use cooper but behind kitchen units and in tight spots in lofts I will uses plastic, sometimes use the fittings with cooper were you can't solder.

Softus wrote

Just stating my findings.
I would guess plumbers in your area are sub - standard.
Course cowboys and such like ?

How many soldered joint leaks exactly are you talking about per year ?

How long had the installations being installed ?

Why did the clients involved not get their own copper plumbers back to rectify the leaks ?

And finally how many homes have you flooded due to using pushfit ?
And how many will be flooded in the future due to O ring failures and pop offs due to pressure fluctuations ?

JohnD said:
Softus said:
Like the four-foot shark, this is bound to be influenced by the number of installations with copper pipes, compared to the number with plastic. Age of installations will also have a bearing. I bet you knew that really ;)
Indeed I did/do, but (a) there's abundant plastic around that has already exceeded the time it takes for copper to corrode and/or wear out, and (b) you took my comment out of context - it was in reply to the following statement:

You just never hear the same stories about copper.
The reason the person who made that statement doesn't hear stories about copper is nothing to do with the relative proportion of installations of copper vs. plastic - he/she either doesn't listen, or lives and works in a world insulated from real-life plumbing.

Balenza said:
Softus said:
Just stating my findings.
I see. So is it equally valid for me to conclude, given that in my limited sphere of experience I have never had sex with a man, that there is no such thing as a homosexual? And that I'm "just stating my findings"? :rolleyes:

I would guess plumbers in your area are sub - standard.
Course cowboys and such like ?
Is that what you do in the absence of first-hand knowledge - you "guess"? You don't investigate and ask people who have more experience?

How many soldered joint leaks exactly are you talking about per year ?
Approximately none - I didn't say that soldered joints fail, because generally they don't. But plenty of copper corrodes near soldered joints, because of the excess flux lying on the inside of pipework. And plenty of copper corrodes because of particles of iron coming off radiators that have been installed without flushing out.

How long had the installations being installed ?
It varies between 2 years and 40 years.

Why did the clients involved not get their own copper plumbers back to rectify the leaks ?
I didn't ask, but in most cases it's patently obvious that they weren't the people who engaged the original plumber. And when properties are rented, it's the agent who decides which contractor to engage for an emergency repair (unless the landlord has specified a preferred contractor, which is fairly rare).

And finally how many homes have you flooded due to using pushfit ?
Zero. But it's a meaningless question, because I've never flooded a home. I've come close, just like any other tradesperson, but the error has always been insufficient precautions, or bad planning, or not fully tightening a compression joint (for example) before testing, rather than a technical error in making a joint.

And how many will be flooded in the future due to O ring failures and pop offs due to pressure fluctuations ?
None of my work will "pop off", because it's installed, and clipped/secured where necessary, in such a way that it can't happen. I don't know how many 'O' rings will fail during the natural lifetime of their installation, but I do know that so far it's none (of mine), and I do know that I've seen countless examples of non-pushfit joints that have failed as a result of the poor manner of installation. Mind you, I throw away (or return to the merchant) any push-fit fitting with a faulty component, any compression fitting with a missing or mis-shapen olive, and any solder-ring fitting that has missing or insufficient solder. I suppose that some people don't spot all those faults, and those people probably have problems.

Notwithstanding all of that, I get the feeling that you're not really asking me to predict how many failures there will be in any product or type of installation, but that you're attempting to highlight the fact that the jury is still out on plastic and push-fit. I would agree with that - what I don't agree with is the mistrust of new technology when it arises merely from a poor understanding of how to use and install it. And this forum is full of posts that illustrate that particular lack of understanding and the consequent ignorant prejudice.

Hi
We used plastic pipe as diyers ( first time home owners and diyers!) for all plumbing, heating, and that was 18 years ago. we have had no leaks, and it was so easy.
We have put it in our new extention too. We will never use copper. It doesn't look messy ( I have a free standing bath and you can see pipes!).
It is like everything, if you rush a job and dont take care you will make a mess. And like copper pipes, you can paint plastic sholud you decide too.

I would recommend plastic any day for heating your radiators, or plumbing your house!

Sharon

Softus said:
Not an unreasonable rule of thumb, but what's yer formula for solder vs. compression vs. metal push-fit vs. plastic push-fit etc.? :D

i steer clear of all pushfit except hep20, most versatile of the lot, compression for fitting ballofixes and suchlike, and then yorkshire for the finishing touches.
Next time for me its hep for all joins and junctions and then replacing with yorks when the pipe layout has been set. (twistability a real bonus on the hep.)
:)

wirsbo q & e far better than pushfit and you cant forget to do a joint, also uponor multilayer if pipework is exposed leave the copper for the dinosaurs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back