Copper vs plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your help is much appreciated!

We have just bought a very old house (built circa 1930s). All the radiators need replacing and I plan to relocate some of them. Please may I know if the plastic pipe is good for the job (to connect the new radiators from the boiler/ cylinder)? What's the pros and cons? Will there be potential leaking in the future using plastic pipes? Or should I remove all floorboards to put in new copper pipes?

Cheers!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A competent installer will be able to do it in copper or plastic with minimal floorboard ripping up providing he is reasonably skilled in the woodwork department as well.
The beauty of copper is that you can perform a bend say for a rad tail and feed it through a joist space of up to 3m and up through a hole cut by a hole saw and no need to rip up any floorboards.
Not that you will understand any of that. ;) however I dont see any problems with either plastic or copper but my preference would be copper.

ive worked for many big housing ass and all insist on using copper pipe price wise prob works out about same but copper is comming down a bit in price so may be cheaper but athousand china men and all that,copper if u buy kite marked should b good for years yes many people will say plastic is better and quicker but i bet they are monkey site bashers

This will probaly open up an old debate again. You will get as many people on here who like using plastic as those who don't.

It is down to personal choice and the job you want to do with it. They both have advantages.

Plastic must not be used within 1M of the boiler and with its bulky fittings looks very ugly and 'diy', but when hidden under floors etc this makes no odds. As it is a lot more flexible it can get to parts others can't reach ;)

Copper can be classed as slower to fit and more risky because of the blow torch needed.

I personally do not like using plastic unless it is in new build, where speed is of the esscence to make money.

What ever you choose follow all instructions correctly and you won't go far wrong ;)

Sponsored Links
Lashing an install in with plastic is akin to a spark yanking in cables ,hence the speed so I think most will agree its not that skilled in comparison to the copper installer.

Another problem with plastic is the restriction in the flow caused by pipe inserts. Copper has stood the test of time! ;)

Richsoft said:
Another problem with plastic is the restriction in the flow caused by pipe inserts. Copper has stood the test of time! ;)

but its expensive (thaanks to the chinese) and harder to install

nowt wrong with plastic

Yeah its more expensive but if installed right will be a pucka job. Most plastic stuff I've seen installed has been lashed in.

Richsoft said:
Yeah its more expensive but if installed right will be a pucka job. Most plastic stuff I've seen installed has been lashed in.

I agree but not all

and all us pro's on this here site wouldnt think of slashing it up

;)

corgiman wrote

(thaanks to the chinese)

Between 2005 and 2015 chinese construction is expected to make up 50 percent of the entire worlds construction. Pretty awesome.
If you happen to own an old crane or digger which may be lying rusting in a hedge then dig it out as its worth a small fortune.

Balenza said:
corgiman wrote

(thaanks to the chinese)

Between 2005 and 2015 chinese construction is expected to make up 50 percent of the entire worlds construction. Pretty awesome.
If you happen to own an old crane or digger which may be lying rusting in a hedge then dig it out as its worth a small fortune.

lmao

If I did you can bet your life I would be running out with me shovel in the morning

:):)

Oh, what about the risk of leaking? I heard that plastic pipe has higher risk.

Thanks!

RachelG said:
Oh, what about the risk of leaking? I heard that plastic pipe has higher risk.

Thanks!

not if it has been installed and commissioned correctly it shouldnt

:)

and it IS cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back