Copper pipes vs plastic

doitall said:
As for plastic pipe I can see lots of trouble brewing :rolleyes:
And yet you don't see fit to inform the OP about what that trouble might be.

Don't even think about it.
Because....?

Plastic pipe was made for no hope plumbers and the diy market who couldn't solder copper.
And you have evidence of this from where, exactly?

Would you believe we have a guy on here that says you shouldn't fit a steel radiator in a bathroom because it will rust out in weeks
Hm, in weeks eh! And who was that person, pray? Tell us doitall - did you have the courage to raise your disagreement on the topic you're referring to, or did you take the coward's way out and make a snide post somewhere else?

Later he will be on to tell who how much he loves plastic pipe. Maximum profit least quality.
Personally I prefer copper in terms of looks, and plastic on those occasions where it's not in your face but where speed of installation and versatility are the important factors. Do you have any objective reason for bad-mouthing plastic pipe?

Sponsored Links
grey speedfit

I didnt know speedfit ever made grey pipe. I'm sure he means Hep2o

Plastic pipe was made for no hope plumbers and the diy market who couldn't solder copper.

In 1979 I went to a small plumbing exhibition for those in the trade only where they introduced 'Acorn™ fittings' I still have an original leaflet kicking about somewhere.
These were eventually changed from their dark brown acorn colour and re-launched as Hep2o. Shortly after the re-launch which I think was about 1991 I was one of the first in my area to use it on a heating system which just happened to be on my sisters house It was in 10mm microbore and 5 out of the 7 rads were second hand.
Well for the record the system is still going strong along with the ferrolli combi that I fitted even though I should have went round 2 years ago and replaced the PRV :oops:

Personally I prefer copper in terms of looks, and plastic on those occasions where it's not in your face but where speed of installation and versatility are the important factors.
That sums up my opinion on the matter

Don't get me wrong, I fit plastic on occasions (hepworth barrier and original tectight, the sprint has let me down twice and most other plumbers in this town have experienced difficulties with it).

All I am saying is that copper is best practice and takes more effort so the man whose quote was for copper if it is close to the plastic price is a better deal.

I believe plastic causes a few minor problems in central heating. When it gets hot and loops under the ground floor sludge can hang in the loops. It still isn't wholly gas tight unlike copper, despight the barrier method. Someone said it is 80% gas tight now. So it precipitates oxidation.

One of the major issues with plastic pipe is its ability to back up.

Have been to several repairs where the installation is dated to find black tea leaf like sediment that tottally blocks up the pipe. In one instance the system had to be repiped.

Sponsored Links
I didnt know speedfit ever made grey pipe. I'm sure he means Hep2o

Thanks for raising that... I occasionally use the term speedfit to refer to any type of plastic pipe intended for speed fitting. I'm sure there is a reason why they adopted "speedfit" as a trade name.

DP said:
One of the major issues with plastic pipe is its ability to back up.

Have been to several repairs where the installation is dated to find black tea leaf like sediment that tottally blocks up the pipe. In one instance the system had to be repiped.
This is useful information DP. Such a problem would certainly be a reason not to use plastic pipe. Can you tell me more about what happened?

For example: which pipe - brand, barrier/non-barrier; what usage - hot/cold/CH; if heating then inhibited/non-inhibited; age of installation? Also, do you know what the sediment was, and was the pipe manufacturer consulted?

I heard from a third party that Scottish Gas won't offer their boiler care package to systems with Plastic pipes fitted.

Not sure if its true or not

Just had a total new central heating system fitted after some major renovation. Had no choice to use plastic pipe through the joists as i did not want to knotch the joists. then use copper legs to each rad. This is a good use for plastic as its out of site and the plastic fittings are ugly in my books.

Trouble with plastic is you never know wether it has been installed right . In nearly 30 years i have never heard of a soldered fitting jumping off merely by turning off the stop cock and then back on, but have experienced it twice with previously installed plastic pipe and fittings and have heard it from others. Copper far neater ,better and most important a proven life span.

And the Rats and Mice don't eat copper :D whereas they love hep 2°.

namsag said:
Trouble with plastic is you never know wether it has been installed right.
Why's that? Don't you install it right?

In nearly 30 years i have never heard of a soldered fitting jumping off merely by turning off the stop cock and then back on, but have experienced it twice with previously installed plastic pipe and fittings and have heard it from others.
And were those caused by a faulty installation or a defective fitting?

BTW, you're now talking about pushfit fittings, whereas the topic is about pipe. :rolleyes:

Copper far neater ,better and most important a proven life span.
Oh really. What lifespan are you attributing to copper and plastic? Does the copper you buy come with a 50 year guarantee?

doitall said:
Be honest there John - the work that you repeatedly show off about, and some of which is done by other people, doesn't qualify for plastic being an option, so you can hardly claim to be using copper by choice. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
doitall said:
Be honest there John - the work that you repeatedly show off about, and some of which is done by other people, doesn't qualify for plastic being an option, so you can hardly claim to be using copper by choice. :rolleyes:

The pics are all my own work, some with an assistant agreed, as its two handed.

We do have jobs with plastic pipe, and I do refuse to use it in the majority of cases.

But you are right ish, steel and copper is the norm, with some ABS, Friatherm, etc thrown in for good measure :LOL:

Doing a job at the moment with 3800 meters of 35mm mdpe, 100m of 90mm and 100m of 125mm all fusion welded :LOL:

SOFTUS you obviously have a plastic fetish but hey everyone to there own but if you actually read what i put you will see i said "previously fitted" which would imply not fitted by me. Yes subject is PLASTIC pipe is this not what the PLASTIC fittings are meant to grab onto . If your going to use compression fittings and inserts you may as well fit copper as there will be very little time saved. Wether it is an install fault or faulty fittings is something manufacturer and installer will never agree on but what is fact is the failure rate weeks/months /years after installation for no apparent reason which does not happen with copper or soldered fittings

namsag said:
SOFTUS you obviously have a plastic fetish but hey everyone to there own
That's the tediously predictable response to someone like me putting forward reasoned arguments for sometimes using plastic and sometimes using copper - the point I persistently make on this forum, that only two people have ever taken the trouble to understand, is that different circumstances call for different approaches and different materials. If someone insists on always using copper, then they demonstrate a closed-minded and hence non-engineering approach to problem solving. If that's you, then so be it.

...but if you actually read what i put you will see i said "previously fitted" which would imply not fitted by me.
Indeed so - my question was previously provocative. The question remains unanswered though - why don't you know if the plastic pipe has been installed right? And if someone else installed it then do you even need to know?

Yes subject is PLASTIC pipe is this not what the PLASTIC fittings are meant to grab onto.
Incorrect - plastic pushfit fittings can be used wholly successfully with copper tube. Similarly, compression can be used with plastic pipe. If you have some criticism of either, then you need to be specific, because the only problem common to both, AKAIK, is rodent attack.

If your going to use compression fittings and inserts you may as well fit copper as there will be very little time saved.
If you're incapable of saving time when you use a reel of plastic pipe to cable it through holes in joists, then there's something very wrong with the way you're using it. Or is the truth that you've never actually tried to?

Wether it is an install fault or faulty fittings is something manufacturer and installer will never agree on but what is fact is the failure rate weeks/months /years after installation for no apparent reason which does not happen with copper or soldered fittings
Nonsense - most of my callouts to leaks are caused by corroded or worn out copper. Now I'm under no illusions that copper still proliferates, therefore, statistically, most leaks are likely to occur with copper, so are you saying that you've collated all the figures for plastic and for copper, have analysed them and discovered that plastic is more likely to leak?

Frankly I doubt that you have, so I'm curious to know why you make the irrational claims that you do. As with most plastic skeptics, I'm willing to put money on the idea that you haven't used it very much and you don't know how to install it without getting leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back