Plastic water pipe - fitting a stop tap and water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 22mm O/D plastic pipe carrying water to our house. We are downstream of some else's water meter in a rural area so rather than paying thousands for our own private line to be brought in we've entered an agreement to pay pro-rata for what we use against the bill for the other property. (NB This agreement and the pros and cons of it isn't the subject of this post - that's sorted, legally binding, and now we need to get on and do it!)

So, we need to fit our own water meter. I've seen a few available (in Tippers and other stores) but they have metal screw fittings and quote the sizes as 15mm or 25mm. We have 22mm O/D plastic pipe. Can anyone help with the following please:

1) What do I need to join 22mm O/D pipe to 1/2 BSP, 15mm or 25mm or whatever it is on standard plumbing fittings? Some web links to products would be excellent. I have no idea as to what junctions etc I will need.

2) I'd also like to fit a stop tap with the meter. Again I have no idea of what to buy.

3) I'd like to put the meter and the stop tap in the garden where the pipe comes under the boundary wall. I've located the pipe. Ideally I want one medium sized manhole (about 12in diameter) at ground level, and something to line the hole down to the pipe and keep the soil out at the bottom. Failing that then two small man-holes like they fit in pavements above water meters on new build houses, about 6in x 6in would be fine, one for the meter and one for the tap. Again I'll need to line the hole at the sides and put something at the bottom.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks
Ant

Sponsored Links
Everything you want is generally available. All you need to do is take your shopping list to your nearest plumbers' merchant. And I mean a proper merchant, not BNFNQ or ScrewYou or a garden centre.

Everything you want is generally available. All you need to do is take your shopping list to your nearest plumbers' merchant. And I mean a proper merchant, not BNFNQ or ScrewYou or a garden centre.

Hmmm. Well I tried that on Monday before placing the original post. Tippers were happy to sell me a water meter but "hadn't got time" to help me select the various fittings. Plumb Centre, on the other hand, insisted that only the water board is allowed to fit water meters!

I have a screwfix book, but there's no mention of 22mm O/D pipe that I can find.

Anyone can fit their own water meter to measure their usuage, otherwise you would not be able to buy them so easily, i have fitted them before to a stables so owner could charge each person for theur individual usage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back