Play area surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice on best surface for kids play area. Area is 3mx3m and will host a kids play climbing frame.

I use normal bark play safe from Wickes on a small area where my kids have a small play water Pirate ship and I need to replace that stuff ever year approx 3-4 100L bags.

I am looking at either same stuff for this new area, softwood chippings, or bull bag of play bark from one of the online play bark companies.

Does anyone have any opinions on best to use?

I thought about rubber play bark but this is pricy and think the dog might take a liken to it!

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can use rubber tiles, they're more expensive than rubber bark (to get the same critical fall height) but it should be more dog proof and they scale well.

On the rubber play bark you can get a 500kg bag for around £300 delivered. But that's going to be overkill for your area. You'd end up with about 150mm depth. 50-100mm is more typical. The prices I've seen are much cheaper per kg as your order goes up. Probably as they just use the same delivery services as normal building materials.

I had a look at the tiles also but just want something fairly simple, I think might go with the Hardwood Play Chip. I have seen these in a play park close to me and they seem good. Longer lasting than the play bark, but obviously not as lasting as rubber version.

Anyone used Hardwood Play Chip?

How many Litres would I need then, 3 m x 3m and say 10-15mm deep?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back