Playhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a playhouse for my children and wanted to get some advice on material and foundations.

The playhouse is meant to be a sturdy building to last for about ~10 years with minimal maintenance (i.e. ideally no wood treatment required).

For the material, I was going for treated sawn timber. The bulk of the structure and floors would be a 22x100 similar to this: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Treated-Sawn-Timber---22-x-100-x-3000-mm/p/166436

Due to COVID I'm now really struggling to find any store with stock, so I'd like to see whether there is a simpler, more easily available type of timber I could use for structure and floor. Also the one I linked above is not the cheapest and I wonder whether there's a cheaper alternative.

For foundations I was planning to use breeze blocks, I wouldn't bother with cement, I don't expect that to be an issue, but please let me know if I'm being naive.

Finally here's the blueprint, I know a bit about CAD so I put this together to get a better idea on material and design. Does it look OK, or is overkill?

Structure

upload_2020-7-7_11-7-38.png

Full building

upload_2020-7-7_11-8-54.png

Sponsored Links
3"x2" and 4 x2"(roughly 70x40 and 90x40) are very common sizes. You'll be able to find those anywhere. 4x1 might also be available which will be close to your dimensions.

Try to find your local timber merchants, they're normally cheaper than the DIY sheds and would be able to suggest any other sizes that they've got in stock that are closer.

The structure looks a little over complex to my eyes. Swapping to 3x2 and building it like a stud wall might be easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back