Please advise. Strength of wall single skin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a side lean to my end terrace house before i bought it. I would like to use this space as a small study.

Its half brick thick and has piers built in it. Atm it has those transparent plastic sheets as roof on timber wall plate.

Building control wants me to leave 100mm cavity but the area is only 1.5 metre wide. Would this wall be strong enough to take the load of a pitched roof without demolishing it. It is lower than the internal floor level by 2 bricks and has a dpc in it. I just want to leave maybe 50mm cavity and put a stud work to save space.

Please advice.

Sponsored Links
I have a side lean to my end terrace house before i bought it. I would like to use this space as a small study.

Its half brick thick and has piers built in it. Atm it has those transparent plastic sheets as roof on timber wall plate.

Building control wants me to leave 100mm cavity but the area is only 1.5 metre wide. Would this wall be strong enough to take the load of a pitched roof without demolishing it. It is lower than the internal floor level by 2 bricks and has a dpc in it. I just want to leave maybe 50mm cavity and put a stud work to save space.

Please advice.
It would probably be strong enough. Depends on a number of factors including height and length, brick and mortar strength. You might also need to get the foundations checked. Has it got a DPC?
Easy job for an SE to check for you.

Thanks Ronny. It definitely has a Dpc above the 3 rd course of brick work. But as its lower than the floor level of internal side will the dpc not be bridged when its raised to match the internal floor level.

Also for a pitched roof is it just a case of fixing a wall plate to the external flank wall of house and attaching it to a wall plate resting on the single wall along with ceiling rafters. The total height of wall is 6ft at the moment. I want to raise it to 6 foot to give more headroom.

How much should a SE charge for checking. Can u recommend someone who can guide me what needs don, as I need to take some more diy structural jobs around my house. I will obviously pay for their service provided they are legit and not too expensive.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back