insulating single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has cavity walls which all have cavity wall insulation.

On the side of my house is a single skin brick utility room with a pitched roof.

I want to insulate the external 3 walls and then plasterboard over the insulation so my plan is to build some timber batons onto the brickwork on which the plasterboard will be mounted.

My question is - what type of insulation gives the best heat retention?

As the room is only small I imagine the overall cost difference won't be massive between best/worst so I am happy to get the best available.

Thanks

Gaz

Sponsored Links
just in case it isn't clear from what I said - I assume the insulation will be going in the cavity between brick and plasterboard which is created by the batons

Kingspan/celotex/xtratherm/quinthern/recticel etc. The yellow stuff that looks like dense polystyrene with a foil backing.

Best practice to apply a layer over the battens as well, and plasterboard over the lot.

More suggestions will be along shortly.

Kingspan/celotex/xtratherm/quinthern/recticel etc. The yellow stuff that looks like dense polystyrene with a foil backing.

Best practice to apply a layer over the battens as well, and plasterboard over the lot.

More suggestions will be along shortly.

Deluks has it about right - instead of using another thin layer of insulation and then plasterboard you could just use insulated board if cost isn't an issue. The only other way I have done it in the past was to batten, then use tri-iso and counter batten and counter batten and board....

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

Well wickes sell cellotex general insulation board and also cavity wall insulation board.

Which one should I use?

If I have a 100mm cavity between brick and board would I fit 100mm thick board or would I need to leave an air gap as well?

Thanks

You need the air gap - so the best idea would be to use 75mm between leaving the cav. toward the bricks, and overboard the lot (ideally with an insulated board).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back