Please comment on my downstairs home improvement plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think of my home improvement plan

Just planning reorganisation of downstairs. Ofcourse will get it done through architects before PP submitted or does it need PP submitted?

In summary,

1) I want to covert 2nd door on front with 3ft passage into new front door.

2) Box off existing porch/ main door and make bigger bathroom downstairs. Wet room so it allows study/ family tv room or small room to be changed to 4th bedroom for elderly parent if needed in the future.

3) Convert back of garage to home office. In my proposed drawing I could not draw the external wall like the way it is. The place where the small door is leading to garden, will get window to light let into home office.

4) The wall where it says gas and electrics is where CU unit and gas meter is. I understand this has to be outside or non-habitable place. Its right now in the garage. I did think of getting it moved but since moving prices are extortionate and i need some storage space i thought dividing garage might br cheaper option.

5) The thicker walls I assume are load bearing. Just copied from designs of neighbouring house identical to mine.

6) The area covered by glare is downstairs small toilet and store under the stairs.

So can you spot any obvious howlers.

Is the new front door idea flawed.

Do i need PP for above work.

Any other design suggestions.

I want to develop downstairs first. Will aim to get the foundation adeqaute to extend over garage and living room. Right now falt roof. All my neighbours have extended over garage.

Attachments

• D73482D5-F575-4FA0-80A8-255EF1E54B54.jpeg
    D73482D5-F575-4FA0-80A8-255EF1E54B54.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 7B903CF2-EAF2-4B2C-8A41-5189C9418012.png
    7B903CF2-EAF2-4B2C-8A41-5189C9418012.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
A to scale existing plan vs proposed plan would be more helpful.

A list of what you want to actually achieve is helpful too, in order of priority, that's what any designer will need/ask for in order to achieve what you want anyway.

Meters can stay where they are and within a habitable room IME (unless your BCO is a dick).

Last edited:
Thanks Fred. The external dimentiins remains unchanged. The room dimensions are same but with amendments to layout.

I will be having my parents move with me as I dont trust any carehomes, i am qualified HCP. So idea is to have flexibility to have room dowstairs with wetroom. 2ndly, I have started undertaking significant work from home shifts. So a dedicated office will be ideal.

I want to create 2 extra rooms upstairs. Right now my home is 3 bedroom with one study / 4th room downstairs. My house is on fantastic location. I need more space but i do not want to have another mortage. I have saved a budget of £100k for upstairs and downstairs improvements. If any money left i will explore garden office as well. But might not need it if above setup achieves my needs. I want to develop downstairs first then move imorovments upstairs so that there is minimal distruption.

One thing is for sure, we are not moving. Work is 5 miles away on cycle. Lovley neighbours and kids love it.

Appears you have chopped up the space with additional walls which imo waste space . I would make it far more open plan that as designed .

Sponsored Links
As above, maximise kitchen/ living area into one room.

Blup

The 1st image is what the layout was when i purchased house in 2009. Now kitchen does not have door leading from hallway. And kitchen and dining room connected via double french door to create open plan.

The reason why i love my location is nearest house at the back is over a mile away. House however gets pretty cold or expensive to heat. I have maxed out on insulation options.

Am I right to assume the old porch when coverted into bathroom will need to be flush with existing building. Right now it is few meters out as is a porch permitted under PD.

Dunno, need to be psychic to work out what was existing, what is as is built now and what you're planning. Already asked for proper plans, won't ask again.

The pictures 1st document is existing and 2nd picture I have drawn is proposed. Still early stages not hired architects

I'll ask on his behalf - plans (drawings, not strangely angled 3D representations), to the same scale in the same orientation - the plainer the better. I'm sure you've studied it for hours and it's all clear in your head but for the rest of us its just brain ache.

For benefit of others in my position. Planning permission will be needed. Confirmed by Planning dept. Relocation of main door is not main issue. The width of passage which is 3ft will be narrower than existing one so that might get challenged when application is made.

What will be next step. Is it getting architects to draw up plan or engage builders to get quotes to get better idea on what can be achieved within reasonable cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back