United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

Potterton Profile 80e (gas), EP2001 controller

2) What is / is not happening

Boiler fires for hot water but not for heating

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently

No

4) When did it (problem) start

Heating worked in the morning but failed later in the day. Nothing changed in between.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off

Usually I just up the room thermostat and heating comes on. Not any more.

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance

Boiler is set for "fully pumped" but there is no pump wired directly to the boiler (Potterton info says it should but thats another issue). There *is* a pump in the attic (Grundfos Selectric) near the tank along with two Honeywell valves. I have checked the operation of the room thermostat and it's ok. Also checked the relays on the EP2001 and can see mechanical movement on both and confirmed they are switching power. However, for HW I detect power on the boiler, for CH I do not. There is only one 2-core cable to the boiler so I assume the cable is ok. On one radiator in one bedroom I think there is hot water on the pipe side of the radiator valve but the rad itself is stone cold even right next to the valve. I say "think" because it could be that the pipe runs alongside a hot water pipe.

At this point I am at a loss as the likely culprit: blockage, zone valve, overrun thermo, ??? I'm happy to call out a heating engineer but I would would kick myself if it turns out to be a £10 thermocouple. Any and all suggestions appreciated. More tests, no problem. Thanks for reading this post.

Sponsored Links
Yep change the synchron motor in your ch zone valve....or new head depending on the make and model.

Yep.
Meanwhile turn boiler stat down, cylinder stat right up, latch3 port valve or CH valve to "MAN" with the lever on the end, and your rads will heat up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I'll have a go at the valve today and update you later.

Whey hey! Heating back on and better than ever. Got a new motor for £12.50. Also got a soaking from the pump while bleeding air :LOL: Thanks again for the advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back