please help festoon lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if its legal to use 2 core festoon lighting with movable lamp sockets(the ones with two prongs that pierce the cable) on a 110 system.Ive looked everywhere on the net but I can only find partial references to festoon cable.Any help,links or advice would be greatlly appreciated!
P.S this is for work not home use. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yea, no longer available to buy.

I have a few boxes left though......and a little cable.

Ideal for quick repairs :rolleyes:

?Ironicly, the problem is the lampholders guts - the pins corrode until they loose their spingyness - they don't spring buck out onto the lamp cap. Insulation resistance tests are always poor on them, as is with other ultrasonicaly welded sets........

No 'real' direct danger.

Sponsored Links
TLC still seem to be selling the cable not the lampholders though.

when were they banned?

ricicle said:
Lectrician said:
No 'real' direct danger.

Unless you are fault finding the tree lights whilst on in the pouring rain!! :eek: ;)

BUT if you actually read the spec for them, you will notice they are not IP44 rated, and are for use in "sheltered locations" - They where never designed to be strung in trees or used outside for sustained periods!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back