Lighting in shed please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Following my earleir thread about my electric tripping all the time i have rewired the lights now so that they are daisy chained.

I used the twin core cable I had to connect each light to the next... I assume it ends at the last light and there's no more wires to connect from there?

I used the same cable to wire from the fuse box in the shed to the light switch, and then the same wire from the light switch to the first light.

I havent actually connected to the fuse box yet or to a light switch. Am i ok using the same twin core cable from the box to the switch?

Also I need these lights on a timer so that they come on and go off automatically, hence why they were originally simply plugged into a socket (via a plug in timer). Is it possible to buy a light switch with a timer? I've not been able to find one online so i wondered how this should be done also.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
That looks like a nice piece of kit. I couldn't see if it needs a neutral, so I assume it doesn't

rgh i bought this switch.. as mentioned above today.

I dont really understand the instructions:

it has an l1 terminal, and l2 terminal, and a COM terminal.

I'm trying to wire from the mains board to the switch then to the lights.. is this right?

I have wired as follows: 2 red wires (live) into the L1 terminal. Two black (neutral) into the COM terminal, there is no place for an earth to go so i just joined them together and pushed them to the back of the back box.

Now the lights come on fine.. but when i turn them off they go BANG!!! or the switch does and the trips in the house and the garage go off.

Did the previous comment mean i put on red wire into the L1 and one into the common? and dont attach the neutral at all?

Rob

Sponsored Links
Ahhh. You need to join the neutrals (blacks) together using connector block. The live in goes into Common and the live out goes in L1

Did the previous comment mean i put on red wire into the L1 and one into the common? and dont attach the neutral at all?

Yep ;)

hmm well that didnt work,

live in com nd live out of L1 and nothing at all happens. No LED on the switch.. think i blew it up with my previous attempt?

Rob

Unfortunatly it sounds like you might have done :(
Can you check and see if there is still power getting to the switch?

hehe only by sticking my fingers on it and i dont think thats a good idea to be honest haha. cant seem to find my darn electrical screwdriver anywhere grrrr

wouldn't be so bad but the damned thing cost me 25 quid. Hmm maybe i can take it back and say it is faulty.. wold they even believe me? lol would feel terrible...

Take it back to the shop and say your electrician fitted it but it never worked get a free replacement. Shops make enough money!

Well done on the wiring seems to have solved your rcd tripping fault just need to wire the timer correctly as posted in earlier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back