Please Help: I need to re-fit a waste connector pipe but ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would love some help on this:

I think the plumber who plumbed in our toilet a few years ago did a bit of a cowboy job. He cemented in the ceramic toilet and then afterwards tried to fit the waste outlet to the 90 degree pipe with a connector pipe.

Because he couldn't push the connector pipe into the ring in the 90 degree pipe - he instead covered the whole thing up with lots of silicone. After five years it's started leaking!

I've replaced the silicone and that has eliminated the leak - but there is still an occasional smell - so I think the join is leaking gas.

Solution 1 would be to smash up the ceramic toilet (it's cemented in place to a tiled floor), get a new toilet and do it properly. I'd like to avoid this if possible!
Solution 2 would be to try and refix it using a flexi connector. Does anyone know if that would be possible?
Solution 3 Any other ideas?? Even a temporary fix would be ok.

many thanks,
L

Sponsored Links
A photo would help but I would suspect that a McAlpine flexi connector of some sort would do the trick.

Thanks Victorian,
Just to be clear the ceramic waste outlet and the ninety degree pipe are perfectly aligned.

It's just that I can't replace the connector pipe easily because the toilet is cemented onto the floor. My understanding is that you usually 'push' the loo backwards into place and so push the connector pipe into the seal on the 90 degree pipe.

I hope that makes sense. I'll take a photo asap - but I don't think it will add much.

thanks
L

Sponsored Links
It's actually quite common to find a toilet pan cemented to a concrete floor

Thanks for you advice everybody.

Squeaky, when the toilet is cemented in - and the connector pipe needs replacing what do people normally do?

thanks

L

Hi here's a photo in case it helps.

View media item 67831
The grey connector pipe hasn't be pushed properly into the 90 degree pipe because the toilet is cemented into the floor and so can't be pushed backwards into postion.

Silicone has stopped the leak of fluid but sewage smell remains.

Would it be a quick fix to bung on lots more silicone?

Thanks for you advice everybody.

Squeaky, when the toilet is cemented in - and the connector pipe needs replacing what do people normally do?

thanks

L

Struggle.

sometimes it is possible to re-fit a pan connector with a bit of cutting and messing around but not an easy job .

As suggested a flexi might be the best solution. Just saw the old one so that you can remove it

Hi Lars
Not sure what the black area where the 90 goes in to the floor is. Are we convinced that this is pushed properly in to the drainage?
There is a boss on top of the 90. Does this pick up a basin waste or is it capped off?
9 times out of 10, a good thump on rim of pan with sole of foot, from one side then the other then back etc. will loosen fix to floor and allow you to remove it.
Multikwiks have always been so lucky for me compared to any other make that I stick with them.
I reckon that I could get a no.2 multi on to the back of the pan in to a short bit of pipe in to a bent multi into the floor without disturbing the pan but I would first try to loosen the pan.
If none of the above works for you then the straight flexi suggested by newboy is probably favourite.

I just want to say - I've been amazed how helpful people are on this forum.

cheers to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back