Please help i only get hot water 1am-7am (Tribune Premier)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i really hope somebody here can help.

I have moved into a new apartment 2 weeks ago and i have not had more than 10 minutes hot water at any time apart from between 1am and 7am.

I have a Tribune Premier water heater and have had an electician out who has tested everything and can't find out the problem.

The heater is a storage heater and should heat through the night and store the hot water for use during the day (as i understand it but this may not be the case). When the heater is on during the night i get hot water fine but as soon as it hits 7am and it turns off and all the water is cold.

The boiler does have a boost feature but this only gives me a max of 10 minutes hot water before it goes cold again even though the settings are 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours.

I really need some advice on how i can get hot water during the day. Even though the switch is in the on position unless it is between 1am and 7 am the water heater does nothing.

I have had a look and the heater seams to have no timer settings at all. The electrician checked all the cables and all power is getting through and as i said i get hot water fine during the night.

Sponsored Links
I expect this has a day heater working on the top only and a night working on the bottom ( whole ) part.

It sounds as if one of the heating elements has failed and a bodge repair made by swapping something over.

Did your electrician fully test both elements as well as any relays etc?

Most general electricians are not very experienced with plumbing systems and you might be better getting a heating engineer who is capable of dealing with electrical systems as well. Not many are.

You dont make it clear if you have bought this property or are just renting it.

Tony

Hello and thanks for the advice.

I have bought the property.

The heater does not work at all throughout the day, it does not do anything at all when it is switched on and even the boost only works for a max 10 mins. I could not tell you if it has 1 or 2 heating elements, but the electrician did test every single wire going into the boiler and every single one had power.

All that I can say is that if it works at certain times then the electrician has not identified the problem.

I think you need a heating engineer as I said before.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ok mate thanks

I have given one a call just waiting for a call back when the office opens on Monday.

Some have limited skills and think thats still justifies them charging you even if they cannot find the fault.

It would be far better to find someone who is confident enough of their skills to offer a no-fix no-fee.

Otherwise they will all come even if they realise they have little chance of finding the fault knowing they can still charge you for nothing.

Tony

Oh yes i was charged for his time, £20 and he was here well over an hour. I did not mind paying as he did test all the electrics going to the heater as well as spending time trying to find the problem.

I have a gut feeling it is something very simple with the heater working fine during the night. Still not heard back from the company i phoned maybe hear something tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back