Please help me understand my heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in to a new flat which has an immersion heater as seen in the following images:

View media item 87362 View media item 87363 View media item 87364
I have economy 7 electricity supply, in the picture showing the switches, switch 02 (further back into cupboard) connects to the bottom of the tank via the wire seen in the first picture. Switch 01 goes up to the back then disappears into the wall at the back, so not 100% sure where that goes off to. Having 02 on results in the electric heater starting (can hear it working) regardless of the switch position of the other.

What would be the best practice to use this immersion heater as cheaply as possible, considering we would only use hot water to wash dishes / hands (shower has it's own electric heater)?

Would leaving 01 switch on heat up during the night? (I will experiment with that tonight)

Thank you for your advise and any help you may be able to give me, I am a complete novice in regards to immersion heaters :(

Sponsored Links
Do your experiment and report back, but I suspect you've answered your own question

If its only going to be used for Hand Washing, and Washing up,

A Kettle should suffice.

Sponsored Links
One of the switches will be connected to a timer. Or at least should be. You need to make sure you are only heating the water at night (midnight-7am) or you will pay a lot...

Check the timer has the right times on it. My tenant complained about high bills and when I checked he had set the timer to come on at 2am till 6am (good), but the clock on the timer was 6 hours off, so he was actually heating all his water at peak times!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back