Please help me with floor transition

jff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am renovating some rooms of my new home and I want to change the flooring of the garden room (it used to have a carpet). The garden room is an open-plan extension of the kitchen-diner area; this area currently has laminate flooring that seems to be red-oak (not sure, though).

Given that I can't find the same laminate flooring, I do not know what flooring to use in the garden room. I would like it to be resilient (because it will be heavily used), easily washable, but I would also like it to look good! My budget is limited, so I will have to live with my decision for a long time...

Do you have any ideas on what to use? Given that the garden room receives a lot of light, should I use shining tiles? Or should I use a similar laminate to achieve continuity? Here are some photos of the current laminate flooring:

Here is how it looks with some small square tiles that I had around:

I think it looks better in the photo than in real-life...

Any help/ideas/feedback are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Joao

Sponsored Links
As you have an osb sub floor of unknown thickness - fixing ( is it concrete under that ) tiles may be a problem due to movement over the osb joins.You can use flexible tile adhesive but in my experience you will still get cracks in your grout,
I would go for laminate, have a look around and you may be lucky and find a match. I am no expert but just a big diyer

• Thanks
Reactions: jff
Thanks, aveatry. I am tending to laminate flooring, too. Unfortunately, I can't find an exact match (and I've been to 5 or 6 different stores and I've asked for online samples!).

Do you think a similar tone would look good or should I go to something completely different?

Thanks,
Joao

Personally I'd go for something completely different so it looks like it's planned rather than a bodge at trying to find a match :)

Sponsored Links
You should'nt wash down a laminate!!!!!! You'll peak the joints etc. Sweep Clean or wipe down with laminate spray cleaner and a flat headed mop.

As has been suggested, a stone effect laminate would be very practical for a garden room area, and fitted correctly it won't be affected by direct sunlight etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back