Please help nest install sorry to ask

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I was really hoping someone can help me with this please. I have recently replaced a Drayton 7 with a nest 3r gen thermostat.

I have used the plan wiring it worked fine this morning. When I then replaced the satchwell thermostat in the front room with the nest it stopped working. Below are images please can you let me know where I have gone wrong?

The system was working prior to removing satchwell/ 20180225_205727.jpg 20180225_205742.jpg 20180225_205709.jpg

Thanks is advance.

Sponsored Links
Please call someone competent to work on electrical systems, the wiring is installed to a very poor standard that does not meet basic electrical standards. Why are the cables entering the nest from the bottom instead of the rear knockouts?

Ah there's nothing like throwing it in any old how is there... where's the rest of the wiring please? For example the connections to your cylinder stat? A photo of that would help

Sponsored Links
When I then replaced the satchwell thermostat in the front room with the nest it stopped working.....The system was working prior to removing satchwell
It will. You can't just remove the original room thermostat otherwise you will create an open circuit and the heating will not operate. It should be decommissioned properly. There are three possibilities.

1. Find the origin of the thermostat cable. Note where the wires are connected and disconnect it. Then link the terminals where the two 'live' switching wires came from together.

2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the two 'live' switching wires together and isolate the neutral (if there is one)

3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and set it to its maximum setting, or join the 'live' switching wires together in a separate connector that you can tuck away in the corner of it.

However, as the others have said that is a pretty poor installation, probably the worst I've seen, whilst it may have worked, quite a bit of remedial work is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back