Please help - Problem with newly painted rendered wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening ...

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following dilemma.....

Last year we spent a small fortune creating our new garden which included building a 6 foot retaining wall with concrete blocks. This wall was then professionally rendered and left for a few months to dry out prior to being painted.

We used Weathershield masonry paint, 3 mis coats and 3 top coats and after it was painted it looked great for a month or so until ... small patches of paint started to "bubble" and flake away.

This isn't happening everywhere but in certain areas and to be honest it looks dreadful. On Monday I sanded these areas down, re-painted and low and behold the next morning the "bubbling" and flaking returned :)

At a loss on what to do I visited my local Brewers Paint Store and was advised that I should apply stabilizer to these patches, allow them to dry and then paint over. He sold me a can of stabilizer for £18 and that's what I plan to do.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences? Is the advice given to me correct? He also said that prior to painting my decorator should have given the render a coat of stabilizer, but he never mentioned stabilizer to me. The whole thing has annoyed me somewhat and the wall looks pretty bad as it is

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back