Please help read electric dial meter

Having read all the instructions/explanations/etc in this topic, what value do you get when reading the meter?

[EDIT] Too late. A member of the "just give the man a fish" club has arrived. [/EDIT]

Sponsored Links
:>
I did reference your method again so they will hopefully know next time.
SFK

Yeah - very funny.

Well done.

Do you have any plans to dissuade anybody else from learning today?

There are some (like me) who have great intelligence but who have a mental block when it comes to stuff like this. I first worked in the electrical industry as an apprentice in 1982 and I still struggle (as you have seen) when working this stuff out. It's not for the want of trying over all those years...

Sponsored Links
Taking Text from BAS that he told you before:
Starting from the Right:
0.1 dial has gone past 1 so it is 0.1
1 dial has gone past 2 so it is 2
10 dial has gone past 1 so it is 1
100 dial has gone past 3 so it is 3
1000 dial has gone past 0 so it is 0
10000 dial has gone past 1 so it is 1
As I said back in June that does not tell the whole story - i.e. is not, in itself, adequate instruction for someone who does not know what to do.

In particular, this example illustrates the main problem that people have in reading these meters, in that the two things I have highlighted in red above are (in this case) far from obvious, since, for many/most people, the pointer appears to be pointing AT (not 'gone past') the number in question. One can only ascertain whether the 100s figure is 2 or 3 by considering the 10s figure and drawing the correct conclusion - and one can only ascertain whether the 10,000s figure is 0 or 1 by considering the 1,000s figure and drawing the correct conclusion.

To be complete, I think that BAS's instructions therefore need to be augmented with something like ...

"If a pointer appears to be pointing AT a number, then look at the dial to its right. If that dial (to the right shows a low result (say, not got to 2), then use the number that the other pointer appeared to be pointing AT. If that dial (to the right) shows a high figure (say, gone past 8 ), then use one less than the number that the other pointer appeared to be pointing AT (i.e. if it appears to be pointing at 7, use 6)."

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back