Please help! Regarding immersion tank/lack of hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all
So me and my partner recently moved into a rented property, we were shown the water cyclinder but thats it, not how to use it etc, and emails etc to estate agents seem to be getting us no where. We have a megaflo immersion tank, and a small wall boiler thing that is used to do the central heating, we have no gas its all electric. We have a boiler switch, heating switch, an immersion switch and a timed immersion switch. From our understanding, the immersion switch is to top up hot water, and the timed immersion is for the main part of the tank for night time (we're on economy 10) however the the first 3 nights of being here we cant grasp the timed immersion, tried setting it for 4am for a few hours, one morning we had hot water, only lasted a few hours though, not sure if we are doing anything wrong? If anyone can give me some advice? Anything you want to know just ask.

Sponsored Links
Pics of your set up may help ,controls / switches / cylinders immersion heaters etc.

Try timing your hot water from midnight till 8am, it takes a few hours to heat a hot water cylinder .

Sponsored Links
Economy 7 only runs overnight but economy 10 is different.

You need to check when your economy 10 periods are and set the timed immersion to heat the hot water during those times (call your supplier). If I remember correctly Economy 10 has the 10 hours of off peak leccy spread over either 2 or 3 periods, supplier dependent - overnight, afternoon and/or evening. That's when you want your main immersion on to keep the whole cylinder hot.

Don't forget though, if you use a lot of the HW water when the timed immersion isn't running then the cylinder will not heat the water back up until you get to the next off peak timed period. That's what the top immersion is for, to give you boosted hot water in the top 3rd of the cylinder, if its really needed, but it is at peak prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back