Please Help!! Rough painted plasterboard walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I would like to paint on some plasterboard walls which have already been previously painted on. However, the surface feels slightly rough and has widespread pigment. Probably this type of surface is seen as normal by most of people, but I really would like to achieve an absolutely smooth surface to improve brightness. After some research, I’ve reached to possible explanations:
a) the water in the previous paint was absorbed by the plasterboard, or
b) the wrong type of roller (e.g. long pile) was previously used.

Here a list of test I did until now:
1. I tired to paint over the existing paint and the wall become even rougher than before.
2. I tried sanding with 120 and 180 grits sheets. I get a smoother surface but I find loads of very small holes on the surface like if it was punctured (and I don't think that's caused by the sanding).
3. I tried to use some white paint diluted with 4 parts water and rolled on the existing paint but that didn’t seem to work. I did it again on the area that was sanded and still looks no good. This result made me think that the porous wall is not the issue here.
4. I tried using short pile Purdy rollers and Purdy brushes on the sanded area. Although I get a nicer finish with the brushes, I still can’t get rid of those small punctures.

I want to use a Dulux Matt paint called Light & Space which is particularly bright and easily show all imperfections. I’m thinking to try a Polycell product like Basecoat or Finishing Skim Polyfilla to make a very smooth surface over the existing one but I have no idea whether it would solve the problem or not.

Do you have any suggestions please?

Many Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Common sense removed you mean. The guy has the problem - not the wall.

You might have to line it, using either a 1000, or a 1200 grade of lining paper

As for the 'light and space', I have used it now a couple of times, and dont look any different to me than the ordinary emulsion. :(

Lining paper.

Theres been a couple of threads re texture of L/P and the concensus is that the finer the paper the smoother the finish.

Wouldn't go any heavier than 1000 on this one. Again, from another thread, you could try lining with 1200 and then lining again with 800 - but that seems a bit obsessive!

Sponsored Links
If this guy is worried about tiny blemishes in paint texture - do you really think he'll go for painted wallpaper? (lining paper)

Aye, you're probably right Joe90 - you can lead a painter to L/P but you cannae make him hang it! (sigh)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back