Rough Finish To Painted Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, i've just had my house painted whilst i was away and i've come back to something that was more than likely painted by some 6 year olds!! Needless to say, painters have been sacked! The finish is rough to touch, if i run my hand over it, it is not smooth.

The walls were platered a few months back and they only been painted now. I very seriously doubt they used any undercoating on the plaster because from all the pain buckets i have seen lying about they've just used wickes trade white. Now as i was saying the surface of the paint is not smooth and there are places when you look at the wall from the sides or sometimes straight on you can see like blodges of paint where an overloaded roller was used or i think the term may also be flashing. The other thing noticable may have something to do with the roller, it seems like the paint finish has like tiny thousands of like veins kind of thing going on if thats what you'd call it......

The job looks real crappy and i'd like to know if there is anything i can do to fix it. I did take some fine sand paper to one of the walls and sanded it for a bit and it feels way better but would probably need to be painted again.

Please don't tell me i'm going to have to sand paper my whole house!!

Paint used is contract matt white.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the paint has been rollered on too thickly and with too little care.

Only option really is to rub the lot down, which actually doesn't take that long once you resign yourself to the fact its got to be done and you get stuck in. Be sure to wear a dusk mask and shut the doors and tape the gaps. Only other option is lining paper.

Try and avoid wickes paint as its of a very low standard. Crown, dulux, johnstones, albany are all fine in trade format

thanks for the reply. Two questions, can i make use of some sanding machine to make my life easier as its literally the whole house i've got to do or am i stuck with sanding sponges and elbow grease? If i can use a sander can i get some recommendations please.

Second question, if i decide to use lining paper, is the lining paper not going to feel textured due to paint behind being textured and rough in places?

Sponsored Links
Oh and don't use lining paper - ever. It's a bodge.

Good suggestions by Joe, all i can add is you could get a sander and attach it to a henry if you have one but clutching at straws really.

Nothing wrong with lining paper, its usually the bloke hanging it thats the bodge, i've done many rooms with it and you'd never know, as i'm sure Dec and Mr H amongst others on here have also done so. 1200 grade is fine but would still urge you to go with the sanding option.

Lining paper will never match plastering. He's just had it plastered.

Thats why i made it quite clear that lining is a second option and that the prefered method is sanding

I'll agree that a pole sander would be the best and easiest option but would personally use 120 grit as I feel 80 might be a bit harsh. I haven't tried the 80 grit for this type of problem so can't argue with joe if he has but either type will not take as long as you fear.

As for lining paper, it really would be the last resort in these circumstances but agree with dcdec that it can be unnoticeable when done well and the surface is well prepared (can give a warmer feel to the walls as well, when that is required). I also agree with his earlier post saying to avoid Wickes' trade paint - it always gives that rough, patchy finish.

You can't get corners with lining paper that you get with plaster. Neither can you fill the hollows and make it perfectly flat.

You can't get corners with lining paper that you get with plaster. Neither can you fill the hollows and make it perfectly flat.

Understand your point, but if you have old plaster with many flaws (not the case here, granted) you can fill and sand the worst hollows to level out the surface and a suitable grade lining paper will cover the minor blemishes and look as good as plaster. Admittedly, external corners that are uneven/rounded (ie, not beaded) may not be square and can show that the room hasn't been skimmed but they can still be made to look smooth with good prep. I suppose, in some cases, the time taken to prep and paper compared to the time to skim could be negligible and skimming would certainly be the best option then.

Anyway, I think we're all agreed that sanding is the way forward for this particular job. ;)

Since you've only just had the place plastered you simply cannot opt for lining paper.

No need anyway. A good light sanding with the ling pole and scrape any lumps off shouldn't be too much effort.

Since you've only just had the place plastered you simply cannot opt for lining paper.

No need anyway. A good light sanding with the ling pole and scrape any lumps off shouldn't be too much effort.

Why didn't we think of that? :confused:

Why can't they be lined sparkwright?

Op says the walls were plastered 'months back', so no moisture retention likely plus they've had a coat of paint.

Really didn't mean to spark a debate on lining paper and i'll just reiterate that i only mentioned it as a second choice to the much better option of sanding but i also stand by the fact that a well lined room is often a very good option

They can be lined.

But surely the op doesn't want the expense and hassle of putting up lining paper. Think you may have misunderstood me.

It's been plastered recently - so there should be absolutely no need for lining paper. The plaster should be smooth. And any blemishes or thickly applied paint should be rectified fairly easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back