Please help!!!!! 'Waterfall' from my overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!!! :cry:
I am posting this note for my mum who has had water running from her overflow pipe for months now (not a drip but a full-on waterfall onto the conservatory roof wich is REALLY noisy!!!!) She has had about 4 plumbers out to try & fix it but with no luck so far! We are now running out of options (& money!!!!!)

To date here is the info!
1) Water is running out of the overflow pipe on the back of the house like a waterfall!
2) It stops if I turn the water off at the mains & then flush the loo a couple of times
3) I have checked the level of the water in the cistern & it is well below the water level & flushing poorly
4) A plumber changed the ball-cock & ball-cock valve & no change!
5) A plumber has also changed the hot water tank in the airing cuboard!

Any advice would be really appreciated & thanks 4 taking the time out to help!!! x

Sponsored Links
You need to identify where the water is coming from. It sounds as if it is not the WC , so perhaps it is the tank feeding the hot water system or the tank supplying the central heating system, but why haven't 4 different plumbers been able to identify the problem?

Can someone check the water level in these tanks? they are usually in the roof space.

Just stabbing a guess here when i say that its possible that the overflow pipe has fractured inside the wc cistern. Can you hear the cistern filling up all the time?

Another possibility is that a washing machine or other appliance or fitting has been plumbed in incorrectly and mains cold water is flowing back into the hot water system. Has the start of the problem coincided with some other plumbing work that has gone on?

Where did these 'plumbers' park their horses? I wouldnt leave a job until I was sure I had cured the problem.

Have you tried calling them back and telling them that their efforts havent cured the problem that they were paid to cure?

Thanks for your quick posts! We will try all your suggestions & get those plumbers back, she told me today the toilet water is sometimes warm so incorrecxt plumbing sounds a possibility!! We'll have to stop leaving hay in the front garden for the 'plumbers' horses!!!!! It's just us girlies so they must have seen us coming a mile off!!!!
Yhanks again & will let you know how it goes!!! x :p

Sponsored Links
Got a cheapo mixer shower with mains cold/ tank hot :?: Suggest that to plumber 5...maybe summat like that....I am Plumber 6...I am not a number. I am a free man :LOL:

Sounds like the tank in the loft to me, to start with.
Where are you? Someone might have sympathy for a dame?

Hello everybody thanks so much for your comments they were really helpful! Turns out it was the washing machine a valve needed sealing on the return valve if you know what that means!!! All fixed now & we are really happy - thanks again for your messages! Rebecca & Erminia! x x x x :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back