1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Please identify this stop tap

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by bsr, 2 Oct 2021.

1. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This stop tap is rattling, letting by and dripping from the gland. I guess it's easiest to change the headworks if I can, otherwise repair if you think it's worth it. Whatever is easiest really, access is tight so would rather not have to muck about with pipe as access is tight and MDPE is close to ground so if I score the MDPE it could become a much bigger job!

Any idea what make this tap is? Nuts don't look quite right to be Plasson, Plessey, Flowplast, Philmac. It's 20mm MDPE to 15mm. The logo is painted over so I can't read it.

DSC_0016.JPG

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The nuts look plasson to me, but could you fit a brass 20mm to 15mm? The extra above (if not already there) you could fit a drain off cock.

• Like Like x 3
  4. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. How is the MDPE pipe likely to be held? Olive or toothed grab ring? Just wondering if it might be too scored to re seal.

I guess the all-brass ones use olives on the MDPE side?

5. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you mean how is it held with the existing fitting then yes, the nut, o-ring and grab ring with and insert. New brass one would use a nut and olive with the insert. You won’t know how much it’s scored until you remove it, but I doubt it’s much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Yes that's what I meant. The nut is only about 20mm above the screed so I don't have any room to cut away to clean pipe.

7. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You might not need to clean the pipe. Turn off outside if you’re able to, then undo the nut(s) and then see what you’re working with.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. Exedon

Exedon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Early philmac stop tap inserts had to be hit to get them into pipe with a o ring sat on top of insert. Very difficult to get out again!.
    From memory the tap top from a bs1010 stoptap fits.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's useful thanks - I have a spare one in the shed so that might be a quick fix.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the end it was no problem, thank you for your help. I couldn't strip it in place but got it off easily enough with pump pliers and stripped it down on the bench.

It turns out the washer has completely gone! Who knows where in the water system it is. New washer, PTFE to seal the gland, and some LSX when reassembling. All working well now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @Exedon the MDPE pipe had a green plastic insert that appeared to be driven in and wouldn't move. It had an O ring. The copper side had a two part brown reducer - a sleeve in the fitting and an olive-like fitting on the pipe.

13. Exedon

Exedon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When they were about you could get different coloured inserts to suit various types/sizes of pipe.
    Obviously mdpe but also inserts for the many types of black alkathene and for various weights of lead as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1