Please recommend a multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to purchase a good quality multimeter, can anyone recommend a good brand that is not too expensive but will last me??

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Assuming they don't make AVO's any more, my Brazenose is still perfectly functional after 20 odd years.

Not sure what your reaction is ban ! AVOs (Amp Volts Ohms) were standard issue equipment in the armed forces (no you can't kill anyone with them) in 60's and 70's, not seen them since other than in the odd junk shop.

Sponsored Links
Fluke Model 70 Range of Multimeters, start at about £70 and perfect for all but the most demanding of tasks. I have had one banging about my tools box for the best part of 10 years, so in a rubber case they take the rough with the smooth and last for the money.

I have a new Fluke Multimeter I was bought as a present by a nephew (thought my old one tatty), but I still prefer my old one (New one is excellent though too.)

bathjobby said:
Not sure what your reaction is ban ! AVOs (Amp Volts Ohms) were standard issue equipment in the armed forces (no you can't kill anyone with them) in 60's and 70's, not seen them since other than in the odd junk shop.
Well they still make them.

C653020-01.jpg

And the reason the armed forces like them is that they are virtually indestructible (BTW - you probably could kill someone by striking them on the head with one).

The downside of their build quality is, of course, price. The AVO8 currently sells for £699 + VAT (OK - RS price, so it will be cheaper elsewhere, but it gives you an idea). Oh - and another £110+ if you want a carrying case.

And that, my friend, is why I reacted why I did when ms2004 said "not too expensive" and you said "Avo"....

FWL_Engineer said:
I have had one banging about my tools box for the best part of 10 years, so in a rubber case they take the rough with the smooth and last for the money.
And there FWL shows why a Fluke is probably overkill for you, ms2004.

As a DIYer you don't need the physical robustness that a professional electrician needs, and you don't need to spend £70 or more. (The Fluke 170 series is a bit more than the £70-ish that FWL paid)

Maplin do a wide range (too wide, IMHO), and other outlets.

For domestic electrical work you want one with as few features as possible - unless you plan to take up electronics as a hobby you won't want to be measuring capacitance, or frequency, or testing transistors etc.

As with any tool, don't go for the cheapest you can find - you should probably be expecting the £20-£30 bracket, although I would say that if I needed to buy one, I'd give serious consideration to the RS own-brand Iso-Tech IDM63N, or despite what I said above, a basic Fluke 10 or 7/300. You are looking at £40-50 there, but they are well made.

Autoranging is a useful feature - it automatically sets the range of the meter to a sensible value given what it encounters. Also very useful is an audible continuity testing setting, as you don't have to look at, or even be next to, the meter to know the result.

Some meters will automatically switch to the right function when you connect them up, but I'm unsure about whether that's a good thing. Yes it avoids damaging the meter if you have it set to ohms and put a voltage across the probes, but it doesn't teach you to know what you're doing and why, and some meters are slow to sort themselves out.

And talking of probes, ditch the ones that come with the cheap meters, and buy some with shrouded tips, and ideally fuses in them.

C653020-01.jpg

notice how rs manage to get even the large manufacturers to do versions marked up with thier logo

shows just how big and powerfull they are!

Thanks everyone for your advice, will look at all your suggestions.
Cheers.

I don't know quite what you're after but Maplin currently have one that looks good for a cheapo: "Palm Size Autoranging Multimeter", order code N75BW, for Eight Quid! (Reduced from £13).

I haven't seen this in person but it looks like it has a soft outer casing, which is always handy if you're as clumsy as I am...

It has the operating scheme where there is a rotary switch that selects the function (including Off) and then some of the functions have two options (AC or DC on the current ranges, for example) with a button to toggle between. Whether this suits you depends on how easily you remember to check what the screen is telling you :)

It doesn't seem to have a Range Hold, which for an autoranging meter may annoy you.

Cheers,

Howard

Ban, I said Model 70, not 170. The Model 70 measures Voltage (AC and DC with autorange or manual) Resistance, mA scale and has a bell facility. It will measure current using the appropriate Clamp atatchment.

If you feel these are too many features for a Multimeter to do domestic electrical work then you need your head examined.

Have a look here

http://www.fluke.co.uk/comx/show_product.aspx?locale=uken&pid=32582

yeah the main things you are paying for with say a fluke are accuracy and robustness neither of which the diyer really needs they just need something that can say that a point is at about mains voltage or a conenction is pretty much dead short and thier meter is unlikely to be banging about in a toolbox all day every day.

FWL_Engineer said:
Ban, I said Model 70, not 170. The Model 70 measures Voltage (AC and DC with autorange or manual) Resistance, mA scale and has a bell facility. It will measure current using the appropriate Clamp atatchment.

OK - When you go here http://www.fluke.co.uk/comx/category.aspx?locale=uken&product=mdhmaeu it lists links that compare older models with new ones, and when you go here http://www.fluke.co.uk/comx/actions.aspx?locale=uken&action=17x it says that the 75, 77, 79, 21 & 23 are 10 years old, and the new replacements are the 175, 177 & 179.

I made the assumption that all 7x models had been replaced by 17x. And you did say yours was 10 years old....

If you feel these are too many features for a Multimeter to do domestic electrical work then you need your head examined.
Thank you for that.

Please go back to my previous posts, and tell me where I said that for domestic work you don't need those? To give you a head start you can ignore the bit where I wrote "unless you plan to take up electronics as a hobby you won't want to be measuring capacitance, or frequency, or testing transistors", as that clearly isn't where I said that voltage, resistance and current were superfluous. You might like to take note of this, though "Autoranging is a very valuable feature, as it prevents damage if you connect the meter to the mains when it's set to ohms, and an audible continuity testing setting is very useful.", lest you should think it's those features of the Fluke that I consider unnecessary.

Finally, you might like to consider the fact that the Fluke 73 & 77 are in the £150-£200 bracket, and whether I might have had a point about them being overkill for a DIYer....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back