PLL lamp clip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents' pond has a UVC clarifier which contains a 4 pin 36w 410mm UVC Pll lamp.

When I took the old lamp out it had a small u shaped plastic clip which went through the middle of the two tubes and hooked into the metal clamps in the lampholder. It appeared to lock the lamp into the holder. Problem is, the level of UV light inside the thing has caused the plastic clip to become brittle and snap, so it no longer fits how it should.

Is this clip necessary? Are replacements available?

The unit also has a neat little cup which fits over the end of the tube and holds the tube central inside the quartz sleeve. This too has become brittle, but I can find a replacement for this online.

Sponsored Links
What orientation does the lamp sit when it's fitted? Vertically with the pins at the bottom? if so, I wouldn't worry about the clip, the lamp is going to go anywhere.

If it's oriented any other way, the manufacturer may have found it works it's way loose due to gravity/vibrations.

if you can't find a replacement clip, you could use a small cable tie through the same gap in the tubes and around the lamp holder. That will of course go brittle by the time the lamp needs changing, but they're not exactly expensive.

2g11 lampholders usually have two metal clips inside, that lock the lamp in, so the extra clip may not be essential, depending as iggifer says the orientation of the lamp, not sure what you have without seing it, but the longer pl lamps in normal ceiling type fittings would have a clip further along the lamp to support the lamp weight pulling the lamp out the holder, though sounds like due to the quartz sleeve that method could not be used.
A google search including 2g11 may find something suitable

I've fitted the new lamp without the wee clip. The lamp is held in place by the round cup that fits onto the end of it, holding it central in the quartz seeve.

The two metal clips in the lampholder do clip around the lamp, but i think the plastic u shape clip held the metal clips against the lamp snugly. The lamp sits horizontally and the end isnt butted against anything so could work loose.

The plastic clip went between the two glass tubes and down to the lampholder on both sides, holding the metal clips against the lamp base.

Seems poor design using a material susceptible to damage from UV rays, in an item where 24/7 it will be bombarded by high intensity UV light!

Sponsored Links
I suspect it's more the heat that's the issue than anything else. Every fluorescent light damages the plastic components over time, even those not directly exposed to the light (ie behind hear trays etc) but they get super warm

Maybe a reason not tu use plastic, then.

The phrase "fit for purpose" comes to mind....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back