Plug Fuse for Compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently been given a compressor from my place of employment and after servicing it i started to use it. It all works fine except on about five occasions it has blown the plug fuse (13A) The compressor is single phase but i think the motor takes about 15 Amps which i think is blowing the fuse. Is there/can you safely use a higher rated fuse or will i have to wire the compressor through a heavy duty fuse box.

Please help

Regards Nigel

Sponsored Links
you cant get a bigger fuse for a plug.

how was it wired before?

Buy a 1 way consumer unit with a 16amp MCB in it, and fed it through that method - should solve the problem.

We seem to be guessing what the loading is.

Have you examined the compressor all over looking for the makers plate that says what the power requirements are?

Sponsored Links
If it was manufactured with a 13A plug on it, then the maximum current draw should not exceed 13A, unless someone put a 13A plug on a machine that may require a 16A CEEFORM plug, but as has been said above...FIND THE PLATE AND CHECK THE RATING OF THE MACHINE

Thank you for the replies.

When i got the compressor it wasn't being used and there was no plug on the lead. It was a bit nieve of me to think it was a household plug on the end!

I looked at the motor last night and it is 16 amps so which is best the 16A CEEFORM plug or a one way consumer unit with a 16 amp MCB.

Thanks again

You need both.

A motor may have a start-up surge - if you buy a major maker like MK or MEM that supplies the industrial market as well as domestic, you can start out with a B16 and move to a C16 if it needs it (there are loads around on the used market like fleabay)

I've been there!..... The compressor I saw had a 1-1/2 Hp single phase motor. These will draw a very hefty current on starting, more than enough to pop a 13A fuse, even if the running current is supposed to be about 6 or 7 Amps quoted on the plate.
The manufacturers supplied it with a 16A connector fitted. They did not recommend connecting it via a 13A plug

There is usually a big capacitor connected to the starter windings of a single phase motor. It's job is to generate a temporary second phase from the single phase supply to kick the armature off into rotation in the correct direction. Once running it is disconnected by a centrifugal switch within the motor, and the current settles down to the running current.
To the fuse in the plug it looks like a short circuit as the capacitor charges when the motor is starting.

Traditionally motors used to be disconnected from their drive trains by a clutch so they could reach their operating speed quickly to reduce the problem.

What excellent advice, thank you all very much.

I will now hunt around for the right equipment and then call an electrician to come and fit it for me.

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back