Plug hole replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, seen other posts on this but can't find my specific answer. My bathroom sink plug needs changing. Ive attached a couple of pics, one of the hole and one from underneath the sink. Can some advise how I get it out please? And are replacements pretty standard? Thanks so much for any help.
Compress_20221110_194335_5731.jpg
Compress_20221110_194335_5119.jpg

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the waste below the basin ,where it connects to the trap .

You can buy any slotted basin waste fitting you like. Yours appears to be operated by push rod ( at the back of the tap) as far as I can tell from your pic. But you don't have to have that type .

Sponsored Links
Do you have any of these?

Andy

or some spanners? about 10mm upwards I think.

undo the 2 nuts shown in the underside pic and the plate can be removed then the whole thing lifted out.

That is assuming you have turned off the water, opened both taps to remove any in the system and undone the flexi pipes where they meet the rigid pipes.

undo the 2 nuts shown in the underside pic and the plate can be removed then the whole thing lifted out.

That is assuming you have turned off the water, opened both taps to remove any in the system and undone the flexi pipes where they meet the rigid pipes.
It's the waste fitting that needs replacing ,not the taps mattylad.
The top part of the waste fitting screws directly into the bottom half that sits under the basin.

OOPs, saw pic, skim read, grabbed wrong end of stick.... lol

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-slotted-lever-basin-waste/615KJ is an example of the style currently fitted (but not a recommendation from me).
SWMBO has never got on with push-push (click-clack) wastes like the one linked to earlier in this thread. Nor does she find the behind tap lever ones, above, easy to operate.

I've now replaced 2 out of 3 sink wastes (one rotted through and fell apart as it wasn't brass, but some cheap alloy) with these chrome plated brass 'flip' captive wastes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HQGGVZT/
NB the flip top is solid metal with no rubber O-ring. It seals by being the correct dimensions and the water's weight on it. The rubber o-ring types get very stiff to seal water in and to flip open. Avoid that type!

Getting the old undone and off could be a nightmare if well siliconed in (by pro plumbers). It should be possible to undo the large (plastic/nylon) nut by hand; but will probably need large pump pliers or stillsons. I'm not sure 10 inch pump pliers are quite large enough to fit round the waste nut properly ( from memory)?

Although the rubber donut waste kit gets good reviews I found it near impossible to fit over the waste threads. So I used the old fashioned plumbers mate solution (deprecated by many pro plumbers). Mine is back in my plumbing spare bits box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back