plug in light with switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to put a light in a cupboard by pluggin in a plug on an extension lead and have a wall switch for it,can any one tell me if it's possible and if so how do i wire it ? many thanx.

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to buy an inline switch & dont forget to change the fuse in the plug top to the lowest rating you can get.

as already mentioned, it would be best using an inline switch. or you could surface mount a swtch at low level if you dont want an inline switch.

and make sure the fuse is 3A

and make sure cables and especailly flexes are adequately restrained either by cord grips or compression glands or by being clipped in place right along thier run. You don't wan't your wires getting pulled out.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I missed something from the opening post, but isn't that a description of a normal switched mains socket, that you just happen to want to use to plug a light into ?

GU3010.JPG

If you have one nearby, use that. Or you can put a new one in as a spur, from an existing, or break into the ring and add it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back