wall light via a plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Hi, i wish to run a 3 halogen wall light 240V compatible. i wish to do this from a plug?,through a switch to the light? Is this ok?, if it is what cable should i use for plug to switch and then switch to light (1.5mm/2.5mm)? and what size fuse in the plug? many thanks..hope someone can help :LOL:

your post has been edited, please only use bold etc to emphasisze something

Sponsored Links
change the switch for a switched FCU with 3 amp fuse and you'll be rolling! use 2.5mm² cable pre-FCU and 1.0mm² after the FCU.

Sponsored Links
And make sure you use a min. 25mm box for the FCU.

What do you mean put a plug on it? You're not going to do a "temporary " job on it are you?

If the light is fixed to the wall, why spoil it by having it plugged in? If you want it to look nice, take a feed from the back of the socket and chase it into the wall to a switched fused spur - use this as the switch and fuse protection. Then run the cable up to the light.

There's a good reason not to run the cable on the surface and plug it in - its not restrained within the light - there's no cord grip in a "permenant" light fitting.

But if you choose to run it on the surface, use a 3 amp fuse in the plug, yes. And fit a gland to the light where the wire comes out, to restrain it (or tie a knot in the wire within the light)

And you cannot use CABLE in a plugtop. Use FLEX. Out of interest, is the light fitting metal?

crafty1289 said:
If the light is fixed to the wall, why spoil it by having it plugged in?
that really depends, i'd prefer a thin bit of lamp flex over surface trunking, clipped T&E or a poor attempt at patching up paintwork/wallpapering for which i no longer had any spare of the original material.

also with fixed wiring you have to think about removing it if/when you decide the light is no longer required.

now if you are planning to redecorate anyway and are sure you will wan't to keep the light long term thats a different matter.

rant:why is stuff designed for fixed wiring so f*cking bulky anyway, compare the size of an inline flex switch with a standard lightswitch or a pair of double sockets with your typical 4 way extention lead and you'll find the stuff intended for fixed work is insanely bulky by comparison.

It's because sparkies have sausage fingers from all those years of bending SWA and screwing metal conduit... ;)

yes the light fitting is metal?
i was going to run it from a plug for the time being as i need the light now and havent got the time right now to perminatly fix it.
so your saying run flex from plug to switch (3amp fuse in plug) then 1mm to light yes? can i just use flex for the lot?

leejc123 said:
i was going to run it from a plug for the time being as i need the light now and havent got the time right now to perminatly fix it.
It's a wall light. How do you intend to use it if it's not fixed to the wall?

And please note what was said above about the lack of a cord grip - this is extremely important - if the cable gets pulled out of the terminals there could be a fire.

so your saying run flex from plug to switch (3amp fuse in plug) then 1mm to light yes? can i just use flex for the lot?
Depends on what type of switch you use.

And where it is.

And why do you want a switch, anyway? What's wrong with switching it on and off at the socket?

the light will be fixed to the wall?
the socket its going to be plugged to is difficult to access so thats why i want to add a switch, a normal on off switch? (sorry not hot on the correct wordings!)
still confused on what cable i should be using can i use flex for the lot or no?? :confused:

leejc123 said:
the light will be fixed to the wall?
leejc123 said:
i need the light now and havent got the time right now to perminatly fix it.
Do you mean you don't have time to properly install the cable?

Is the light designed to have a cable going into it except a buried one from the rear?

the socket its going to be plugged to is difficult to access so thats why i want to add a switch, a normal on off switch? (sorry not hot on the correct wordings!)
Do you mean a normal switch like this:confused:

MKK4870.JPG

How are you going to fix that to the wall?

still confused on what cable i should be using can i use flex for the lot or no?? :confused:
You have to use flex from the plug.

You can use either flex or T/E from the switch to the light. If you use T/E you will have to clip it to the wall.

You have to find a way to stop the cables from being accidentally ripped out of the switch and the light.

Have you thought about using a table lamp?

yes a switch just like that i will mount that to the wall with a surface mount box. Yes thats right, ive not got time to perminatly fix the cable right now (intend on decorating after xmas so will do it then.)
So i can use flex for the lot thats great thanks. I will clip all cable so theres no danger of it being pulled out of anywhere. The light is a wall mountable 240v 3 halagen jobbie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back