Plug-in MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old MEM consumer unit, with rewirable fuses. Does anyone know of a simple plug-in breaker that can be used in the MEM to swap for the old fuses? The Wylex type have their pins too close together and do not seem to want to fit.

Sponsored Links
Wylex MCBs will not fit your MEM CU, as it is made by MEM and not wylex ;)

I have seen MEM plug in MCBs in use, but I've not seen them for sale anywhere as long as I've been in the trade.

you are more likely to find cartridge fuseholders to fit.

Is this an old one with white porcelain fuseholders?

what is the reason you want to change to MCBs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift replies! Having had a wired fuse pop recently (simply old age, I think) I thought I might swap them all over for MCBs, which people seem to think are superior. At first, it looked like just a case of a simple swap. However, reading thru the posts here has put me off - the insulation & calculation issues are much more significant than I first thought, and I can't get a good MCB replacement for the wired fuse anyway, it seems.

The best answer is of course, a new CU plus probably a rewire - ours is over 25 years old - but apart from the recently blowing fuse, it has never once given trouble since we bought the place 18 years ago, and in the end, I think the optimum course is "if it aint bust, dont fix it"! So thanks to the 'DIYnot' board for good advice and for saving me from opening a can of worms! (If we have to sort it when we sell, so be it, but until then, stuff it!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back