Plug Location for a Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hvae a combi boiler on the external wall in my kitchen. The supply to the boiler is locates below it, about 6 inches. I had the boiler serviced and the engineer said the pipes for the boiler are too close to the power point and it's against regs and if the pipes leaked it could cause an electrical fire.
He didn't say what the regs are and I haven't been able to find any yet. Is he correct?

To move the power point means pullign tiles off the wall and the sink is only three feet away from the power point in the direction it would have to move. The doorway is on the other side.

If someone could point me towards the regs I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only reg I can think of is the gas pipe should be at least 150 mm from any electrical fitting.

You dont need to do anything.

He was just being what I consider obnoxious and pointing out that he knows everthing rather than explaining clearly.

But why was he there? They dont walk in from the street!

Tony

There was a fault with the boiler and it was being repaired under warranty. Curious as to the 150mm as the boilers now are full of electrics. Thanks for the reply.

Make, model and fault?

Can you post a photo?

Sponsored Links
The boiler was fixed. The engineer repairing it made a comment on the plug location, see first above, but I can't find anything about the location of a plug relative to boiler or water pipes to a boiler.
Since spoken to an electrician and he can't think of any regulation concerning this either.

The boiler was installed by a Gas Safe registered installer, I checked that at the time, and I wasn't concerned once he was finished.

Don't know if the repair guy was now giving an opnion and it wasn't based in regs at all.

As the sink is only three feet away from the same plug point and I can't find anything I think this was a red herring but if anyone knows better I would be glad to hear from them.

The boiler make and model, surely, are immaterial to the post.

If your pipes are 6" away from the fused connection unit, then somebody is trying to make something out of nothing.

For some reason they were trying to impress you, perhaps you should take that as a compliment? :D

Some of us are interested in boiler reliability and the behaviour of their service engineers!

It is a Glen Dimplex 24kw combi. The temperture control knob for the CH water was broken/faulty. Need to teach the kids to turn the thermostat down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back