plug socket in bathroom....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, quicky here for you experts !!!

My bathroom is in the process of being re-done.

My better half has insisted that we stretch the budget, and buy a whirlpool bath.

I'm not sure how they are wired, but i presume they come with a 5m length of mains cable, terminated with a plug.

Whats the rules on sockets in bathroom. There is already mains into a cupboard in the bathroom, which used to house the old immersion boiler, and is soon to house the new combi boiler( which also has a plug)
I know there is a rule about having a mains socket/switch within a certain distanve of a water outlet...but not 100% of what it is.

I'll likely be putting a double socket in the cupboard, and i can hide the mains flex from the bath under the floor, as it'll be up anyway.

Any advice welcome guys.

Sponsored Links
Boilers are normally fed from fused spur units, it would also be better to feed a whirlpool bath from a fused spur unit too.
Is the circuit RCD protected?
Are all the other circuits in the bathroom RCD protected including lights?

surely you have seen electric showers in bathrooms? A pull-cord switch on the ceiling, beyond reach, and with a shock-proof cord? Not much chance of anyone with wet hands getting at it.

and your first thought was a plug socket? :eek:

My better half has insisted that we stretch the budget, and buy a whirlpool bath

Any advice welcome guys.

Unfortunately Electrics in Bathrooms are not for the inexperienced..best advice i can give is to stretch the budget a bit more and call in a qualified Electrician who will also take care of Part P notification for you.

Sponsored Links
...Part P notification...

k13wjd

uk.gif

United Kingdom

;)

Firstly, spark1 - thanks for your advice - I'll take it on board.

Boilers are normally fed from fused spur units, it would also be better to feed a whirlpool bath from a fused spur unit too.
Is the circuit RCD protected?
Are all the other circuits in the bathroom RCD protected including lights?

Yes, there is already a fused spur unit in the bathroom CUPBOARD - from the old immersion heater. Its RCD protected. As are the lights.

I guess using this fused spur to power the boiler AND the bath is the easy option - Regardless of the connection from the bath...( i THINK its a plug)

Its over 1.5m from the nearest water outlet if that helps.

For this application, stop talking about plugs and sockets (and certainly not a "plugsocket" - there is no such thing).

Your whirlpool bath will connect to the power supply, probably though a hardwired connection through a fused connection unit (FCU). Your electrician can advise the best way forward.

It is not good practise to have the boiler and the bath off the same FCU.
It is more likely that there will be two FCUs, one for each. Then you can switch them off separately.

Are you sure that your installation is completely RCD protected? Lets see a pic of your consumer's unit.

i'll go take a pic in the morning....I do have mate who is NEARLY a spark - he's got his 17th edition exam next week. I'm sure he would be happy to do this job FOC.

Before anyone starts...I'd rather ask the question and get the answer, than do what i THINK is right, and regret it.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

as for switching the boiler and the bath off seperatly...Why would i want to switch them off seperatly. ??

You want to turn the whirlpool off but still have central heating?

Make sure your electrician pal does some proper testing (EFLI, IR etc) you don't want anything going wrong with water and electrics

I have 2 boxes - the top is all RCD, with a earth leakage device - this is for all my mains, lighting, and the old water heater.

the lower is all RCD - But its from the old storage heaters, and is defunct.

hope that clears it up.

You want to turn the whirlpool off but still have central heating?

i didnt say that, someone else suggested it

"It is more likely that there will be two FCUs, one for each. Then you can switch them off separately. "

i asked why i would want to do that.

I have 2 boxes - the top is all RCD, with a earth leakage device - this is for all my mains, lighting, and the old water heater.

the lower is all RCD - But its from the old storage heaters, and is defunct.

hope that clears it up.

I rather feel that you don't know what you are talking about. Surely you mean all MCB, not all RCD. They are different things. That is why a picture is needed. Try this:

Oh, and nearly a spark doesn't cut it. Will the local authority accept his qualifications to ensure that he/you comply with Building Regulations?

Just being able to read BS7671 is not enough.

i'll go take a pic in the morning....I do have mate who is NEARLY a spark - he's got his 17th edition exam next week. I'm sure he would be happy to do this job FOC.

You always get what you pay for. In this case, for the princely sum of nothing, you may get exactly that.

Don't get a mate in - he'll try and please you and for nothing could end killing you or the missus.
Mind you, with her extravagances (whirlpool bath, FFS - stand up and be a man!) you may see this as [no] money well spent. :D

Pay an actual electrician to do a proper job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back