Plug Socket RCD Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a problem where our RCD & Upstairs Sockets Fuse are tripping and I lose all downstairs socket power and power to one socket upstairs, lights are ok.

It happened a couple of times and I was able to switch back on after a couple of hours.

The last time the power didn't return to the socket upstairs although all the switches are up on the Fusebox.

It's a single socket that had an extension lead running hairdryer, straighteners, tv, stereo etc that all work ok elsewhere.

First thoughts are that there's a disconnected wire behind the socket and also that maybe a double socket should replace the single.

I need to sort out the room with no power, any advice on fixing this and replacing the socket ?

Sponsored Links
I've had a problem where our RCD & Upstairs Sockets Fuse are tripping and I lose all downstairs socket power and power to one socket upstairs, lights are ok.
Do you mean the RCD is tripping and a MCB supplying that circuit is tripping? Or is it just the RCD?

It's a single socket that had an extension lead running hairdryer, straighteners, tv, stereo etc that all work ok elsewhere.
Were the hairdryers and straighteners running at the same time? Are there alot of other high power items on the same circuit also running at the same time? If yes and your MCB is tripping then it suggests you have simply overloaded the circuit. However, you do mention an RCD tripping too?

A bit more info is needed in relation to exactly what is tripping. What is written on the switch(es) that trip?

Do you mean the RCD is tripping and a MCB supplying that circuit is tripping? Or is it just the RCD?

It was the RCD WRS80/2 & NSB32 / Stickered Upstairs Sockets switches. All others were ok but when I pushed the upstairs sockets switch up it would not stay & the RCD would trip. Both switches are up now but the plug socket doesn't work.

Were the hairdryers and straighteners running at the same time? Are there alot of other high power items on the same circuit also running at the same time? If yes and your MCB is tripping then it suggests you have simply overloaded the circuit. However, you do mention an RCD tripping too?

It's a teenagers room so everything is probably plugged in at once but I'm told it was just hairdryer & tv...these work ok on other sockets.

A bit more info is needed in relation to exactly what is tripping. What is written on the switch(es) that trip?

At the moment all the switches are up on the fusebox ok and nothing is tripping, it's just that one plug socket upstairs has stopped working.

Use the quote button on the right - it makes it a bit easier to read instead of typing my post out too. ;)

For both the MCB and the RCD to trip I believe that would suggest you had a L>E fault. But it must have been fairly large one to trip the MCB at the same time.

If the socket is no longer working then isolate that circuit and uncrew the front of it and have a look. It may be that the live conductor has popped out and hit something "earthy" (maybe the backbox?) which caused the trip. Now it's just apping about behind the socket and for this reason the socket outlet is not longer working.

Have a look and report back. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Use the quote button on the right - it makes it a bit easier to read instead of typing my post out too. ;)

For both the MCB and the RCD to trip I believe that would suggest you had a L>E fault. But it must have been fairly large one to trip the MCB at the same time.

If the socket is no longer working then isolate that circuit and uncrew the front of it and have a look. It may be that the live conductor has popped out and hit something "earthy" (maybe the backbox?) which caused the trip. Now it's just apping about behind the socket and for this reason the socket outlet is not longer working.

Have a look and report back. :LOL:

Thanks , will take a look :)

Thanks Bongos it's all fixed....It was a top centre wire that had worked loose behind the socket. All tightened up and back in place.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back