plug sockets on new plastered wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
prob a very silly question but, have just completetly reboarded a whole room and mounted new sockets etc... when i come to plaster do i let it dry before screwing socket cover down, (or will this crack it) or do i screw the socket cover down when still wet.

thx

Sponsored Links
If possible, leave your sockets/switches off of the wall until you've finished plastering. If you've already mounted the sockets before plastering, just leave them loose so you can plaster behind them. Always let the plaster "set" hard, before you screw the cover plate into place, ie,, don't do it while it's soft/wet.
Turn the power off at the mains too. ;)

have just mounted the metal boxes in the wall and the covers are loosely screwed on until i plaster i will take them off.. i was worried that if i let the plaster dry then screw the covers on i would crack the plaster ?

Sponsored Links
have just mounted the metal boxes in the wall and the covers are loosely screwed on until i plaster i will take them off.. i was worried that if i let the plaster dry then screw the covers on i would crack the plaster ?

If the metal boxes are firmly screwed into place, and you plaster neatly to the edges of each box,, just let the plaster set, then screw the front cover on, but don't over tighten the screws. I do it that way all the time, it does no harm, and it wont crack the plaster. Another little tip,,, when you plaster the wall, cut a piece of cardboard the shape of the box, then put it into the box,, it'll stop the plaster filling up the box. When you've finished the plastering wall, remove the card, and trim around the edges of the box, neatly with a stanley knife. ;)

only slightly better again is to wait until you have painted to screw them on, sames cutting in alot and you dont get paint on the socket fronts!

Another little tip,,, when you plaster the wall, cut a piece of cardboard the shape of the box, then put it into the box,, it'll stop the plaster filling up the box. When you've finished the plastering wall, remove the card, and trim around the edges of the box, neatly with a stanley knife. ;)

Can you post that on the electrician's forum please!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back