Plugging a hole left by a pipe in a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new toilet installed and the overflow pipe of the old one was removed but nothing replaced it. So the hole remains in the exterior brick wall and is about 1.5 inch diam and 10 inch long. How do I fill this please? The exterior part is difficult to reach so I would like to try and do it all from the inside if at all possible. At the moment it's filled with toilet paper to stop the draught!

Many thanks in advance
Alfonso

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same thing a few weeks ago but we live in a bungalow so doing the outside was much easier. If you definitely cannot reach the outside then you might try what I suggest below. It ought to work in theory if no-one can suggest anything better. Good luck with the problem.

First make a carboard tube that is a tight fit into the hole and long enough to go all the way through the inner block and the cavity and just into the brick. Then get some mortar made up to be stiff rather than sloppy. Push this through the tube with a stick and hopefully it will fill the brick hole. Some may go all the way through and fall outside - does that matter?

Carefully withdraw the tube so that any left in it does not fall into the cavity. Now gently push a stick into the mortar a little to pack it tight. Don't push too hard or too far, as you will push it all out the other side.

Filling the inner block should be a lot easier. Try to judge the amount of mortar or other filler so that it doesn't go into the cavity.

Buy a small can of expanding foam for five or six pounds and filll it with that.

IMO the previous advice is simply way OTT as well as being less effective.

Ditto, once the foam has set, cut it back about 20mm and use filler or mortar to finish off.

Sponsored Links
Yup just a can of foam from the inside - leaving a great big snot of the stuff stuck to the outside wall - how many feet up in the air :LOL:

just put a bit of card in from the inside against the outside wall......no foam on the outside and hole is permanently sealed - sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back