plugging oven into 13a mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my kitchen done (moving my oven from one wall to the opposite one)and the installer said not to bother moving the wiring for where the existing oven is connected but to plug the new oven into the 13a mains.

Problem is that the oven is 2.9kw and the intstuctions say do not connect using a 13a plug or protect using a 13a fuse.

Is the installer correct? what is the worst that can happen if I plug th eoven in to the 13a main. will it just blow the fuse often?

many thanks in advance,
D

Sponsored Links
better to hard wire it rather than use a plug but 2.9KW is 12.6A at 230V...

less on the actual voltage of around 245 ( average.. )

13A fuse switched spur is better option than a plug for high curent - prolonged use

thanks, I have a 13a fused spur I was going to hard wire it into but the instructions specifically say do not connect appliance using a 13a plug or protect it with a 13a fuse.

Sponsored Links
absolutely...

is that 2.9Kw oven only, or can you turn the grill on as well at the same time?

Thanks guys, it is a single oven / grill so you can either have the oven on or the grill on but not both.

I'm planning to give Bosch a call tomorrow as the instructions on their website for this model used to say connect it to a fused spur, but that seems to contradict the ones that have come with the oven.

Also do you have any ides as to whether the switch at the end of the fused spur is an "all pole isolation swith"

Thanks, I think I might want to get that upgraded if I do wire the oven into the fused spur.

and how exactly do you break the neutral by removing a single fuse?

switched fuse spurs are double pole..

i'll admit that I didn't see the "switch" part of his question.. must read more carefully in future..

and ohms law is power = voltage x current..

therefore.... power /voltage =current..

the higher the voltage, the lower the current for a fixed power..

2900/230 = 12.6A
2900/245 = 11.8A...

the higher the voltage, the lower the current for a fixed power..

2900/230 = 12.6A
2900/245 = 11.8A...

Except that very few situations present a fixed power... as opposed to a (reasonably) fixed resistance

but without being given the xxx on the rating plate as in.. "2.9KW @xxxV" we cannot calculate the resistance...

if we assume that it's at 230v then..

P=V²/R

R=V²/P

R= (230x230)/2900

R=18.24ohms

P= (240x240)/18.24

P= 3158W...

I= P/V

I= 3158/240 = 13.15A

Thanks for all your help guys (or girls)

I am happy to wire the oven in to the existing 13a switched spur for the time being. If I get any problems like fuses blowing or rcd's tripping (I had a quick read of the other thread about a bosch oven) I'll get an electrician to put a connection to the existing cooker radial in that is currently on the other wall.

Also I phoned Bosch who were extremely helpful and told me they don't give their ovens an ampage rating and it was my problem. When I pointed out that their website said the oven was a 13a one the person I was speaking to was (in my opinion only) off hand and we ended the call then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back