plugs and screws for aquapanel battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size plugs and screws do I need for battens going on breeze block wall to hold aquapanel?

Sponsored Links
I don’t use timber battens or plugs & screws; if you initially dot & dab the panels to hold them in place, you can mechanically fix with through (frame) fixings directly to the wall. Drill small pilot holes on a grid of 200 x 200mm so you know where the adhesive dabs are (the adhesive oozes through), erect & level the boards & leave for 24 hours for the adhesive to set; important or you will most likely break the adhesive bond & even crack the boards if you fix too early. Drill through the boards into the wall with the appropriately sized drill, insert the frame fixings & tighten but don’t be ham fisted & over do it.

Otherwise it depends on the size of your battens but I would use minimum no 10 screws which go into the blocks a minimum of 50mm

Thanks, but from what I've read about aquapanel, you are not supposed to dot and dab, it needs a gap behind it for air to circulate, hence the need for battens.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but from what I've read about aquapanel, you are not supposed to dot and dab, it needs a gap behind it for air to circulate, hence the need for battens.
That will be the manufacturer’s instructions then ;) . Knauf say no to relying on just the adhesive dabs to hold the boards in place (& they are right), that’s why it’s essential to provide the additional mechanical fixings. Many of the other (similar) cement board manufacturers use the same method as I describe; myself & probably thousands of other tilers, plasterers, bathroom fitters/renovators do this all the time as a read through the DIYnot archive posts will confirm. With the adhesive dabs, there will be air circulation behind although that’s only necessary if there is any chance of moisture/condensation for example on solid external brick walls; internal walls & external cavity walls with internal blocks, which I assumed you had, won’t need it.

Just trying to give you the benefit of trade practice & save you some work but, hey, your choice. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back