Plumbed in plinth heaters cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice please. I have a plinth heater in the kitchen that is connected to the central heating system. I have taken the heater out and tested by pouring hot water into it and the fan kicks in, so I know that it is working. I have re connected to the central heating system and bled the heater until hot water is coming through. However, when I close the bleed valve the water is not running through as the return pipe stays cold and feed pipe therefore goes cold slowly. I have tried closing the other radiators to force the water through so I could re balance the system but still get no hot water coming through it.
Is there anything I am missing that i
should be doing?

Sponsored Links
They are metal flexible pipes. I think the feed pipe must be fine as I can get hot water through the bleed valve. How can I check or understand lock the return pipe?

Is the matrix blocked ?

Has it ever worked. They need a good flow to work.

Sponsored Links
I have removed it from the system and poured water into it and the fan kicked in, butits never worked since I have lived in this house which is about 6 years. We have a gravity fed system, so not much pressure I guess.

Assuming you can remove the radiator... does water flow out of the flow and return pipes when you open them into a bucket?
You could link the flow and return with a suitable pipe and see if it gets hot?
Do you know where the pipes are plumbed in to your system? Perhaps they are both on the flow side?

I alwats bin the flexi pipe supplied as they are very restrictive, and just pipe in 15mm plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back