Plumber couldn't remove taps!

Sponsored Links
Could you post a video of how to hang a boiler?
I don't get the bit where he has cut the pipes off (they're in his hand) and then removes the olives. No mention of new pipes to screw into the tap.
If there's enough movement in the supply pipework, can pull down to free the tap pipes, then unscrew. Then undo the nut and remove the tap. If not, remove the nut first, then lift the tap to free the pipes. then unscrew the pipes. Re-use the pipes, which are likely to be bent to suit the feed pipework.

Sponsored Links
I don't get the bit where he has cut the pipes off (they're in his hand) and then removes the olives. No mention of new pipes to screw into the tap.
If there's enough movement in the supply pipework, can pull down to free the tap pipes, then unscrew. Then undo the nut and remove the tap. If not, remove the nut first, then lift the tap to free the pipes. then unscrew the pipes. Re-use the pipes, which are likely to be bent to suit the feed pipework.

All jobs are different. What's the chances of him demonstrating the exact job you need to know about

I had to do one recently which was a right ****. Access was difficult and was all corroded. In the end I just took the sink out, fitted the new tap and put it back in. It was a good job I did because the shape of the porcelain meant the c washer for the new monoblock had to be well trimmed to fit over the stud and clear the porcelain. Working upside down inside a vanity unit, I would have been cursing for ever.....

I wouldn't recommend charging £20

It took me 10 mins and the part cost about £6. I was already working on site, so it isn't like I had to take in to account travelling time.

That said, yeah, I probably spent 20 mins sourcing the part...

They are good customers, I spent a year working in their house (seriously) and I am back there now.

So.. am choosing replacments now, does the width at connection of the new tap have to be EXACTLY the same as the old one, or can we shove some glue or whatever in there to bridge the gap. From my finesse, you can see my plumbing skills I bet. ;)

Last edited:
So.. am choosing replacments now, does the width at connection of the tap have to be EXACTLY the same, or can we shove some glue or whatever in there to bridge the gap. From my finesse, you can see my plumbing skills I bet. :)
I don't understand the question.
The new tap will probably come with flexi connectors which you will need to fit to existing pipework.
Everything else will be the same.

I don't understand the question.
The new tap will probably come with flexi connectors which you will need to fit to existing pipework.
Everything else will be the same.
IMG_20220531_100926.jpg

Ok imagine we cut the tap parallel to the white part of the sink, concerning the cirrcular hole left behind, do I need a tap with the exact same shape and dimensions where it connects to this top part of the sink there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back