Plumber couldn't remove taps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have 2 ceramic taps that a plumber saw today. Even though the leak is below the sink apparently the fault is with the taps. He says they have been heavily corroded and must have been leaking for a long time and couldn't remove them. Great more time and money wasted. So what do I do next? I'll try another plumber I guess and tell them the full details.

The last 2 months I was with a plumbing insurance company: British gas homecare. I noticed my water bill was enormous, indicating some kind of leak. Had the !!!!!! come out (2 months ago) and they couldnt find any problem. If it's corroded then surely it's been leaking for a while and they didn't do their jobs properly.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I had to pay the focker £30 too. Yeah exactly, obviously another plumber could do it, becasue if a plumber can't then nobody can! And we don't have house through developed countries in my situation!
IMG_20220531_100244.jpg
IMG_20220531_100904.jpg
IMG_20220531_100914.jpg
IMG_20220531_100935.jpg

I had to pay the focker £30 too. Yeah exactly, obviously another plumber could do it, becasue if a plumber can't then nobody can! And we don't have house through developed countries in my situation!View attachment 271152View attachment 271153View attachment 271154View attachment 271155
Can't see it on the pics, but usually a tap is secured by a M8 threaded rod with nut. You would turn off the water, remove the pipes and undo the nut. Probably need a box spanner as too much of the rod showing to get a socket on it. Unusually, the pipes are rigid, more commonly flexis used for easier installation.

The guy is 5* with 110 google reviews though. Maybe it's harder than it looks..
or he bailed out for another reason?

Can't see it on the pics, but usually a tap is secured by a M8 threaded rod with nut. You would turn off the water, remove the pipes and undo the nut. Probably need a box spanner as too much of the rod showing to get a socket on it. Unusually, the pipes are rigid, more commonly flexis used for easier installation.

Wait so where should I take a photo of to see this?

Are these normal mixer taps that I need to search for to replace? Thanks.

Are these normal mixer taps
Yes, just make sure they are basin taps. Not those for a bath or kitchen sink as they are a different size.
If you want to keep that waste (plughole) arrangement you will need taps that include the lever and a replacement waste.

The last 2 months I was with a plumbing insurance company: British gas homecare. I noticed my water bill was enormous, indicating some kind of leak.

That doesn't add up - an enormous bill would suggest a very serious leak, not a dribble that would be difficult to spot.

Homecare have a reputation of being fairly useless and arrive with an attitude of 'can't be bothered'. That is not a particularly difficult job for someone with the right tools, are you sure he was a plumber? I'm not a plumber, but could see that sorted in an hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back