Plumber taking the mickey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I had a combi boiler installed about 6 weeks ago, since then it hasn't worked properly, the guy who fitted it says there is a leak and the pressure keeps dropping, i call him all of the time and he never shows up, do I put this down to experience that the guy is a cowboy and pay someone to fix the leak or is there another avenue I can take?

Sponsored Links
If you had your system converted to accept a combi then it is likely that your leak is in a part of the pipework that he did not touch. You would not necessarily notice a micro leak in an open vented system, but you certainly will in a sealed system.

Your heating guys responsibility regarding the installation would not cover consequential repairs not related to the installation.

You may be being unfair to accuse him of being a cowboy - how do you justify this?

And hopefully he warned you (as most would in writing) of the possibility of such problems when you took the sealed system option. Did he powerflush? We get a disclaimer signed for that as well.

Sponsored Links
so basically u say i have no comeback whatsoever, ok then, so how much would it cost to put it right, I justify calling him a cowboy cos it cost me over £2500, u might be able to spare that kind of cash but i can't!

no powerflush, just fitted the system, no disclaimer nothing, he still hasn;t given me a receipt for the works, parts etc

If he won't respond to your phone calls, ask your friends and neighbours for a personal recommendation.

You're unlikely to get a fixed price quote for finding and fixing a fault when you don't know what or where it is (and, if you can't see a leak, may be under the floor).

First of all, bad luck - you have my sympathies.

Next, if your system hasn't been powerflushed it's almost a certainty that your new combi will fail fairly quickly. It is vital that this is done as soon as possible.

Next, your leak. How quickly is the system losing pressure? it is possible that if it is a tiny leak then a dose of leak sealer may fix it.

Personally it is in my T&C's that all weak and failing existing pipework (and SS pipework for that matter) is specifically excluded from all liability for exactly this reason.

did you pay cash by chance, and did you want to pay cash by chance?

Kingston said:-

I justify calling him a cowboy cos it cost me over £2500, u might be able to spare that kind of cash but i can't!

I dont think that it is fair for you to call him a cowboy on account of the price he charged you.

Your ability to pay for your heating system ( or not ) does not make the installer a cowboy.

We would charge about £2500 for converting an open vented system to a 28 kW Worcester or Vaillant combi. Does that make us cowboys too?

Tony[/quote]

broke back mountain has some nice cowboys,some real cowboys in kingstons house.
did he have a nice horse.
sorry but you only get what you pay for.
OK what boiler did he install and how long does it take for pressure to drop, ie 0.5 bar in 24 hours.etc.

The model is a Baxi 105HE condensing combi boiler, the pressure drop is not sudden, takes maybe a week for the pressure to drop below from 1.5 to zero.

And yes I did pay cash.

Did it replace another combi, if so did the pressure drop on that?

The leak rate you have is slow enough to be very hard to find but too fast to leave.

Is he Corgi registered|? (can check on the corgi site)
Did he fill in the Benchmark certificate?
Did he Notify the installation to Corgi so you get a bit of paper to say he's a pukka chappie?
Need we ask??

You can check all that and moan and apply pressure - but as EH said above, leaks in your pipes aren't directly his fault so finding and dealing with them would be extra.

If you always had a leaky system it will be corroding, and you will have sludge, which will block your new boiler , and , best of luck :(

When will people learn? You chose the cash option. No receipt I expect. so you were an accessory in the fitter's avoidance of income tax. Now you have a problem. So where do you expect to get help? You have chosen to take a dis-honest (and illegal) option. That's a lesson for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back