Plumber's Charges

Sponsored Links

£60 per hr in London isn't rip off rates. Try locking yourself out of your house, and call a locksmith.

But it was not £60 an hour was it?

Maths is not your strongest subject - is it? :rolleyes:

FFS.He said his bill was £840 labour 2 men 7 hours each.
Explain why that is NOT £60 per hour.

As said, they may have been wasting time or being slow. But we can't assume that just because the OP implied so. He says it is £120 per hour, I think HIS maths is awry. Or am I missing something?

The professions, as opposed to trades, are required and regulated to work at prices that can be referred for assessment.

Well it seems the trades rates are referred here for assessment by those with no knowledge of the job or the area in which it was carried out.

Sponsored Links
Where ie the OP? Have you done the mathematics now, and feel a bit silly?
Probably bored rigid by your rantings.

NA & Nigel, it IS getting boring, and I apologose if you think I was ranting. However, at last other folk have realised that at least half of the original complaint is erronious (?spell). This is the nonsense that we (trades) have to put up with all the time. Customers being upset at their own and there equopments failings, and wishing to vent. The tradesman who is not present to explain the true situation is hung out to dry

Fair comment - I was :LOL: @ the reply . It`s a minefield out there - people ( customers) go with prevailing conditions - it was a lot easier in the Feelgood days :cry: And there wasn`t so much adverse publicity via Dom Littlewood et. al.

We don't know fully what they did !!!!

Cant see it would take seven hours to do a visual and operational assessment of a flat !!!

Anything that would have needed major expenditure should have been discussed with the customer..........personally from description would deem it as a rip off.

gasbanni";p="2519231 said:
We don't know fully what they did !!!!
gasbanni";p="2519231 said:
r leak
precisely!

Cant see it would take seven hours to do a visual and operational assessment of a flat !!!
I refer you to your your previods comment

Anything that would have needed major expenditure should have been discussed with the custolymer..........

Absoutely agree. I am starting back to work tomorrow after 3 months off, and a guy I know is has been waiting for me to repair an underfloor leak.I HATE these jobs, as you never know what you will find or how long it will take - especially trying to succesfully solder under (concrete) floor level. I would never start without explaining the potential financial consequences.

But if you take your car or van to a random garage, I am fairly certain that they wouldn't offer info on the likely cost unless you ask. Their advantage is that they have your vehcle until you come up ith the dough

I've just had a plumber complete a recommissioning job on my boiler and checking the plumbing in my new flat to make sure it is all working and safe. He has spent most of the day there (seven hours) and has had a colleague with him who is a gas engineer for the boiler. The work they have carried out has been very straight forward, cleaning the boiler, changing the odd pipe etc.

I'm confident they will have done a good job, but my concern is the price they have just quoted me for the work...

£60 for each half hour - £120 an hour. That's £840 just on labour!

Is this in any way reasonable or normal? I live in West London/Kingston area. A quick search online seems to suggest £60-70 an hour is what most companies/traders charge.

I know I should have asked for a fixed price in advance or a maximum daily rate, but I had to call them out in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to do my usual searches to compare prices. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I've learnt a very valuable lesson.

You never said what the total bill was- including materials ? (and anything else the chancers added on_

Sponsored Links
Back