plumbing a radiator up back to front and upside down

A CH system using hot water could only work using convection with gravity where the hot water would be heated at the bottom of the system, the hot water rises, enters the heat emitters and as the heat is transferred out into the air the cooler water then falls under gravity setting up a convection/gravity circulation. It's how the original centrally heated system used to work. Don't think it specifically requires the water to enter the rad at the top TBH, though that's only supposition. In fact single pipe systems use exactly that principle to work correctly (albeit the main flow would be pumped), where the hot water uses convection to enter the rad create the flow and then convection/gravity to exit (and some help from the flow in the main pipe), that and some cleaver and very specific piping up usually with large main pipework and rads to help modulate the heat supply and some very exact balancing.
Wow! I did not know that the victorians used water central heating system, I though it was all Roman/ caveman style where the exhaust gases of the open fire would run under the floor of the house

Is there anywhere I can get a diagram of a gravity feed CH system as I may like to try it out myself

Sponsored Links
Just go searching about, you'll find plenty of info available - First one I found

Just go searching about, you'll find plenty of info available - First one I found

Wow! that is set in a basement, though it would be some kind of log burner rayburn stove sat in the living room or kitchen. Would be nice to know how they converted it to run on oil though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back